AI Mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I AI'ed a heifer yesterday morning. It went real well. She relaxed. Found her cervix, got the gun through it in 8 seconds, and found the tip on the other side right where I could tell was the ideal position and deposited the semen. THe whole thing took less than 3 minutes. I turned her out and was feeling real happy. Then I looked at the gun. I noticed that I did not seat the sheath all the way back. I have the komicolor gun. You use the sheath with the blue insert. I noticed that there was some semen in the space between the gun and sheath. I am guessing that I may have lost about 20 % of the semen because the straw was not totally seated. I guess I found something else to pay closer attention to the next time. How much will this decrease the odds of success? Anyone else have this happen?

My guess is that since all went so well in the beginning she will stick,,,,had you went thru with problems finding and inserting the straw etc I would be concerned...Keep us informned what happens.

inyati13":3q4oyt1b said:
I am guessing that I may have lost about 20 % of the semen because the straw was not totally seated. I guess I found something else to pay closer attention to the next time. How much will this decrease the odds of success?

I predict a 20% reduction in the odds of success :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cowboy:

HOSS":wsfztbm0 said:
inyati13":wsfztbm0 said:
I am guessing that I may have lost about 20 % of the semen because the straw was not totally seated. I guess I found something else to pay closer attention to the next time. How much will this decrease the odds of success?

That makes sense. :D

Everyone who AI's should know all the active swimmers are in the bottom 20%, so I doubt she will settle. :eek: :eek: :hide: :)

Better not do that cause that would give flounder something to put in one of his blogs,,,,,MAD COW on the rise after cow was turned upside down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inyati13":gxx2yk1p said:
I AI'ed a heifer yesterday morning. It went real well. She relaxed. Found her cervix, got the gun through it in 8 seconds, and found the tip on the other side right where I could tell was the ideal position and deposited the semen. THe whole thing took less than 3 minutes. I turned her out and was feeling real happy. Then I looked at the gun. I noticed that I did not seat the sheath all the way back. I have the komicolor gun. You use the sheath with the blue insert. I noticed that there was some semen in the space between the gun and sheath. I am guessing that I may have lost about 20 % of the semen because the straw was not totally seated. I guess I found something else to pay closer attention to the next time. How much will this decrease the odds of success? Anyone else have this happen?

inyati come look at our mistake. Brangus cow bred to brangus bull.....got a red calf with a white slash across face. I do think my wife grabbed an old straw of guernsey semen by mistake. Calf is looking good tho. :lol2:

HOSS":26hxemye said:
inyati13":26hxemye said:

Unless the swimmers had all gone to the back end of the straw. :frowns:

TexasBred":2zi1opv9 said:
Brangus cow bred to brangus bull.....got a red calf with a white slash across face. I do think my wife grabbed an old straw of guernsey semen by mistake. Calf is looking good tho. :lol2:
Just for clarity, aren't you the same guy that told me I deserved to be fired over a few char/jersey steers here a while back? :lol:

Inyati, I'll bet you lost a lot less than 20%. It varies by company and what they use to extend the semen but even a little bit makes a big mess.

cow pollinater":152nkrqv said:
Inyati, I'll bet you lost a lot less than 20%. It varies by company and what they use to extend the semen but even a little bit makes a big mess.

Would the extender material be the first out of the straw on the crimped end?

cow pollinater":2rrtqk3l said:
TexasBred":2rrtqk3l said:
Brangus cow bred to brangus bull.....got a red calf with a white slash across face. I do think my wife grabbed an old straw of guernsey semen by mistake. Calf is looking good tho. :lol2:
Just for clarity, aren't you the same guy that told me I deserved to be fired over a few char/jersey steers here a while back? :lol:

Yep that was me...but she "might" have done this once. She also gets about 95% conception on first service. You screwed up a whole herd CP. I think we may still have some old jersey semen in that tank. Probably may need to dump that before she begins to like these crosses. :lol2:

inyati13":3gpzpsmd said:
cow pollinater":3gpzpsmd said:

Would the extender material be the first out of the straw on the crimped end?
No. The extender is evenly mixed in the semen to extend the life of the sperm. If it was not evenly mixed, the semen would die a lot quicker. Only time will tell if you get her stuck or not.
Just an FYI, as soon as we withdraw the the pipette from the cow, we immediately check the straw for ID and to make sure it is empty. We have done the same thing in our early days, and if there is a mistake, we can quickly correct it if the cow is still in the chute. Once we check that everything was done correctly, we let the cow out. We only had an "oops" one time, I told my husband to breed a heifer to Dominator and that his semen was in goblet one. I went to bring in another animal, and came back to him just finishing up. When he was checking the straw, I noticed it was the wrong color (I had just used the same bull that morning on her and decided to drop another straw in since she was still standing, and the straw was blue - the empty one he had in his hand was green!). I got mad at him, and he said he pulled Dominator, but it was in 4 and not 1 like I said. He did not realize we had two different sets of semen from two different Dominator bulls, a red and a black one (not related at all). The black one, Ellington Dominator, is a calving ease bull carried by ABS and who I had used in the morning, he used SVF Dominator, a new bull that was not identified as a calving ease bull and was red. Ugh :help:
We decided to wait and see, and of course, she stuck. I figured we would just DNA the calf when it was born, because the only way we would know for sure who the sire was would be if it was red, but I did not know if the heifer was Hetero or Homo black (we were going to call the calf "Who's Your Daddy"). Well, she calved, and we assisted a little. She did not need it, but we happened to be waiting to go to bed and thought we would just get it over with. The calf looked black at first, so we were jabbing each other as to "who" actually stuck her. When the calf dried off, he was a deep cherry red :cry: which meant that HE stuck her and not I. That calf went on to win the carcass contest last year, and I have posted lots of pictures on here of him and his rib eye area. A good mistake, if you can say that, that could have been bad. :nod:

I think we may still have some old jersey semen in that tank
My daughter had a jersey heifer she showed at the fair at our place a couple years ago, was a big pet and we kept her with the beef heifers. When she got old enough to breed, I got a couple jersey straws when our rep brought our beef semen. Long story short, I "somehow" got a angus jersey cross heifer the following year out of one of my pure angus cows :shock: But, it was a super nice looking calf, and that heifer actually had her first calf this spring. She is a super momma and milks great. I think she has the nicest looking calf out there right now! Not sure I'd make a habit of this "crossing" but a Oops can be kinda interesting sometimes :)
Jenna

Latest posts