SydGen Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I attended the SydGen sale on 11/21/09. I was impressed with the quality of the sale. I thought the sale price on females was down from previous years, but bulls seemed to sell pretty good. My main purpose on going was to view some of their AI bulls that I am considering using. I was very impressed with CC&7. He was much thicker than I had thought. Extremely dolice also. While I was viewing him in his paddock, another guy went into the paddock and began to scratch his head and rear. CC&7 got up and stretched and stood still while the guy went around him. I am going to use him next year. I think a few other cattle board members were there.

I was there also, I thought it was the best set of bulls they have ever had.. buyers liked them too.

The disposition on both CC&7 and Turbo is for real.. They took my son in the pen with CC&7 and he rubbed all over him. I have the pictures to prove it. I was gonna use Turbo this year but they ran out of semen at the farm before I could get some. Probably use him and CC&7 next year. I went with Forward, Trust and an old standby Directive this year for heifers.

jscunn":3qb1jekg said:
I was there also, I thought it was the best set of bulls they have ever had.. buyers liked them too.

The disposition on both CC&7 and Turbo is for real.. They took my son in the pen with CC&7 and he rubbed all over him. I have the pictures to prove it. I was gonna use Turbo this year but they ran out of semen at the farm before I could get some. Probably use him and CC&7 next year. I went with Forward, Trust and an old standby Directive this year for heifers.

We can rub and scratch on all our bulls. Is that not normal?

IMO, it's neither normal nor safe. We specifically don't make pets out of our bulls. No, they're not wild and crazy, they just keep a respectful distance. Some of our bull customers just aren't interested in a bull that will come within arm's length of them, especially one that's crippled up from a bull fight. The young bull we bought for clean up this spring is much friendlier than I want him to be.

Thanks for the info on CC&7. We've considered using him, too.

Frankie":1uusunec said:
IMO, it's neither normal nor safe. We specifically don't make pets out of our bulls. No, they're not wild and crazy, they just keep a respectful distance. Some of our bull customers just aren't interested in a bull that will come within arm's length of them, especially one that's crippled up from a bull fight. The young bull we bought for clean up this spring is much friendlier than I want him to be.

I agree :!:

Frankie":2p3ettrk said:

I agree no bull can be trusted but I feel safer with one that I can walk up to that one that keeps his distance and can explode at anytime.

Sure makes it easier when you are moving them and sorting them.

Of course docility is NOT a trait of all breeds.

I tend to agree with you all. But he sure would calm down a bunch of wild or semi wild cattle. That much disposition can be used in certain circumstances (calming down wilder cattle, making show heifers/steers).

TylerandCC7.jpg

JSCUNN

Didn't you buy some. I thought I saw your name up there on the screen. I also thought the bulls looked very good and sold well. I thought the females didn't sell as well as the males. I noticed one sale was to a person in Alaska. That's a long trip for cattle!

Yes We bought the lot 28 bull calf. Didnt really need another Connection son, too much 5084 influence in some of our good black cows already. But we really like his overall volume and muscle, he was option J or K. Options A-I were out of our price range. I counted 32 bulls selling for $5000 or more, there were plenty under $2500 (probably 75 or more), normal years you can buy a really good bull there for less than $5000 but not this year. Next year they will probably be cheap cause we wont need one.
:D
We also bought two Jan-Feb heifers for show heifers for the grandkids, lots 369 and 370.

Jovid":31t6ndsu said:
I agree no bull can be trusted but I feel safer with one that I can walk up to that one that keeps his distance and can explode at anytime.

As opposed to a bull that you walk up to and he explodes? I'll continue to assume they're dangerous and try and keep some running space beween them and me.

Sure makes it easier when you are moving them and sorting them.

Opinion, I guess. Our vet had rather have us bring our cows to her place. They're so tame, it takes longer to move them through the chute if they're here at home.

Of course docility is NOT a trait of all breeds.

I'd guess there are docile cattle in every breed. Just need to identify the nut cases and get them out of the breeding pool.

jscunn":5k7052ox said:
Frankie,
You might want to dump out that Connection semen that you have because he is the same way as his son, CC&7.

We had a Strategy bull calf born in January who tried to eat my clothes when I went into the pasture. I think he's a half brother to Connection? After a while, it got to be irritating. Plus it's hard not to reach over and scratch his head while he's nibbling at my coat. :eek: But when he comes home from test, he'll outweigh me a whole lot more than when he left, hopefully. I'll keep my eye on him, for sure.

Had several guys from here go and said the sale was a barn burner. Said the quality was great and people never stoped bidding. We have a couple steers and 1 or 2 heifers going to our fair this year that came from that sale. I am the odd duck and have to bring a hereford in to compete with those black things. :lol:

No we dont only buy from large breeders. But we do buy all our Angus bulls from Sydgen or raise them ourselves. Have bought Hereford bulls from Candy Meadow Farm in TN (fairly small) and JWR in GA (medium sized outfit). The reason we go to Sydgen is that you find a ton of quality bulls at reasonable prices. While we have certainly questioned our sanity about traveling/hauling a bull that far it has certainly worked out so far.

This year at Sydgen was the exception, seems like everyone figured out that this was the place and the year to buy bulls. More bulls sold for $5000 and up this year than sold for $1500-2000, that has never happen at Sydgen to my knowledge. The manager said next year no one will come and they will sell dirt cheap, it happens in cycles. Best set of bulls I have ever seen was those bulls this year, incredible set of yearlings, couldnt get one bought. :mad:

jscunn":3i3xl0fv said:
No we dont only buy from large breeders. But we do buy all our Angus bulls from Sydgen or raise them ourselves. Have bought Hereford bulls from Candy Meadow Farm in TN (fairly small) and JWR in GA (medium sized outfit). The reason we go to Sydgen is that you find a ton of quality bulls at reasonable prices. While we have certainly questioned our sanity about traveling/hauling a bull that far it has certainly worked out so far.

This year at Sydgen was the exception, seems like everyone figured out that this was the place and the year to buy bulls. More bulls sold for $5000 and up this year than sold for $1500-2000, that has never happen at Sydgen to my knowledge. The manager said next year no one will come and they will sell dirt cheap, it happens in cycles. Best set of bulls I have ever seen was those bulls this year, incredible set of yearlings, couldnt get one bought. :mad:
Is there a certain sire of their's you really like? Do you just shop looks or put EPD's with the phenotype?
Blessings
Valerie Clavin

Scott,

I have some yearling bulls you should take a look at. I also have a group of full brothers that are really good.

Jacob,
We ended up getting a bull there just not the bulls we had researched and really looked at before the sale. We got a January bull calf, so while he is guaranteed to be fertile, he has not been checked. We will take him to Hank and get him checked next month and if he passes breed him to less than 10 cows this year. So no big loss if he wont pass at such a young age, of course if he is infertile refund/replacement wont be a problem (other than going to get him). Hopefully that wont happen I really like him especially considering we kinda had to shoot from the hip to get him.

Registration # 16313199 (he hasnt been transferred yet)

I am sure with all the momentum you guys have been building, especially the last couple of years at Uniontown, you shouldn't have any trouble selling the yearling bulls. Good luck if I get anyone looking for bulls I will send them your way.

I was traveling thru Missouri about a week before the sale and had about 2 hours to see some of the cattle. The Jan. bulls were about as deep of pen as I have ever seen. We have used Sydenstricker semen for several years, the calves performance generally indexes very favorably against the big performance "stud" bulls . Ben and Darla do a great job. I wasn't able to get back to the sale like I planned but watched most of it on the internet. Its not like being there but it worked fairly well. I really like to go back and reevaluate the things that stick in my mind, but I was able to pick up a turnout bull that I had marked in the middle of the sale order.

audie,
Which lot did you get?? We have gone every year but one since 2000 and I thought that was the best set of bulls they have ever offered for sale..

Latest posts