swollen (vulva?)

Help Support CattleToday:

plash23

Reaction score
Not really up on bovine anatomy but it's my best guess at it. She has a swollen, round, protruding, maybe cyst like spot on her exterior part(um the folds of skin). Just lookin for ideas if it would help, I'll post a pic in the morning. The spot is about four fingers wide, round.

dunno... she lost her calf few months ago. so maybe timing is right but looks more like a knot. wouldn't the whole thing be swollen if it was that time.???

This is a hard one...

If she's with other cattle, you should easily be able to tell if she's in heat (is she mounted by others, or tries to mount others?). The vulva would normally be swollen as a whole, but wierd things happen.

Since she aborted several months ago, there could be more serious things going on. Do you know why she aborted? Could it have been because of an abnormality internally? If she has problems internally even if she comes into heat and breeds she could lose the calf again.

I'm definitely no doctor, but we've had to cull several cows over the years for problems with ovaries (etc.) About the only way that I know of to definitely know exatly what would be wrong would be for a vet to slip an arm into her and tell you for sure. If she's got problems with her equipment, she's wasting your time and money.

If it's a fleshy coloured protrusion (usually round in shape) could be indicating weak vaginal muscle (prone to prolapse).

Hopefully nothing that bad.

Have a second calver who evinced this earlier this year and will be getting on the bus this fall. Bummer, but what do you do?

Take care.

CattleAnnie":12ng7jg3 said:
If it's a fleshy coloured protrusion (usually round in shape) could be indicating weak vaginal muscle (prone
  • to prolapse
).

Hopefully nothing that bad.

Have a second calver who evinced this earlier this year and will be getting on the bus this fall. Bummer, but what do you do?

Take care.
thats probably right. but does she have any brahman influence :?:

Um... maybe I led you in the wrong direction. Calf died after I prolonged the inevitable. She left it and I tried everything I could. She was allowed to inbreed, which is a completely other post I need to start but, I know that is why she (the calf) had so many probs. and I should have just let what nature intended to happen.

plash,

Even with being inbred and her losing the calf, it still doesn't necessarily relate to this problem.

Might be a good idea to have a vet check (palpate) her and find out what, if anything, is wrong.

I've seen this on lots of dairy cattle. It doesn't seem to effect them much. It shouldn't effect her breeding back. However it might get irritated if she swats flys a bunch.

Tx to all. Appreciate the responces. Went to check on her just now n it was gone. So not as bad I thought. Maybe bee sting (ouch) warming up here and they getting quite aggressive. Guess she should watch what she's rubbin it on. Dunno??? too bad they can't talk!

no, that was a confused questionmark. if your post had been that dumb i would either have ignored it completely or made fun of you.

Latest posts