swollen udder, is this mastitis???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 3 year old cow (a simmental/brangus cross) that had her first calf 8 days ago, but about a month or so before she had him her udder enlarged to about three times the normal size. The teats are not swollen though. The calf seems to be getting enough milk from her even though he only sucks the two right quarters. Is this mastitis? Do I need to treat her or will she be alright when the calf gets big enough to take all her milk? What treatment would I give her? Thanks for any help.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

You can't confirm mastitis without touching the udder. It will be warmer than the rest of the cow and hard, or firm depending on the severity. There will be puss in her milk. <p>Micotil has been effective in treating this as well as medications you insert into the teats on a daily basis. <p>If the calf only sucks on 2 quarters, the cow will likely dry up on the other 2. Mastitis could be the reason for only sucking 2, or he is just a bit slow.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1nt0trf3 said:
: I have a 3 year old cow (a simmental/brangus cross) that had her first calf 8 days ago, but about a month or so before she had him her udder enlarged to about three times the normal size. The teats are not swollen though. The calf seems to be getting enough milk from her even though he only sucks the two right quarters. Is this mastitis? Do I need to treat her or will she be alright when the calf gets big enough to take all her milk? What treatment would I give her? Thanks for any help.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":18n2e2js said:
: I have a 3 year old cow (a simmental/brangus cross) that had her first calf 8 days ago, but about a month or so before she had him her udder enlarged to about three times the normal size. The teats are not swollen though. The calf seems to be getting enough milk from her even though he only sucks the two right quarters. Is this mastitis? Do I need to treat her or will she be alright when the calf gets big enough to take all her milk? What treatment would I give her? Thanks for any help.<p>If there's any way possible, put her into the chute and squeeze out the two quarters the calf isn't nursing on. What does the milk look like? If it's "chunky" or isn't a similar color and consistancy, I would milk her out completely. If it's the beginning of mastitis, you can milk out the quarters for a few days and generally it will clear up. If it's already infected, there are some good treatments that a vet can recommend.
<br>

Latest posts