swollen quarter

Help Support CattleToday:

balanjeya

Reaction score
My cow has been milking for about 5 mths without any problem but all of a sudden 1 quarter was swollen and only watery fluid was coming out.The cow became dull and off feed. I treated with intramamary infusion and tetracycline i/m for 4 days. It is already a week but there is not much improvement. The quarter is still hard and the cow is losing body conditon.No milk letdown in the other teats too. I have also given dexamethasone injections . Please help me.Thank you.

Which antibiotic for intramammary infusion did you use?

I usually figure if there's no improvement in 2-3 days, you're using the wrong antibiotic and you need to switch.

since your cow has a swollen quarter an watery stuff coming out.it is what i call watery mastitis or staph.she needs treatment in that quarter.with a mastitis treatment.heres the bad thing tho she could also have posiness mastitis wich will kill her.but im just guessing on that.

milkmaid":e6lvd5gx said:
Which antibiotic for intramammary infusion did you use?

I usually figure if there's no improvement in 2-3 days, you're using the wrong antibiotic and you need to switch.

The content in the infusion was cloxacilline.

Cloxicillin is a penicillin type - I'd say swap to something that is not in the class of penicillins since that doesn't appear to be working. My vet's personal feeling is that most of the time, a hard, hot quarter with a lot of swelling like that is caused by ecoli. Treatable with something that targets gram-negative bacteria - like Excenel/Naxcel or Spectramast. Drug name ceftiofur.

I've also had some success treating ecoli with a Polyflex (ampicillin - IM) and Pirsue (pirlimycin - IMM) combination, but I think I'd go with the Ceftiofur combination first.

While penicillins can be very effective, the main problem with them is that certain bacterias produce something that renders the penicillin ineffective. Staph aureus is the first one I can think of that does that.

I'll tell you right off that the cow is probably going to lose the infected quarter, but the others *should* come back once the infection is cleared up. However, she may not completely come back into milk this lactation.

Acute mastitis is my guess, heavy duty antibiotics IV, and an injectable antibiotic IM, something strong. Clear fluid is not a good sign, off feed is even worse, and now loss of weight, and decreased milk production in other 3 quarters, a sure sign of a systemic infection, I'd get a Vet out ASAP!!!

GMN

Latest posts