swollen navel area on cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have a one year old heifer that is perhaps on the fat side. I noticed today that her navel is a bit swollen. It feels like there is fluid in it, and it almost the size of an egg. I brush her about once a week, so I am assuming I would have noticed it before. Is this normal, or is there a problem?

Dee":krm8kqe9 said:
I have a one year old heifer that is perhaps on the fat side. I noticed today that her navel is a bit swollen. It feels like there is fluid in it, and it almost the size of an egg. I brush her about once a week, so I am assuming I would have noticed it before. Is this normal, or is there a problem?

Did you buy her or breed her? Could be an old herniation of the umbilical cord when it was young and is just now showing up again. If she is gentle, take a finger and push up and see if you feel a small hole in the stomach hide above the fluid pocket. A large hole can give trouble and bowel could drop through it causing a serious problem. If it is the size of only one finger it should be ok. maybe just some minor irritation causing fluid build up. Watch her and make sure here appetite and her strength stay up.

We had a heifer like that. We had it removed because it was a show heifer, plus we have a vet school about an hour away that we could take her too.

Latest posts