Swollen Brisket Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Elkman

Reaction score
The brisket on our newly-purchased cow was larger than the rest of the herd's at delivery (Feb. '15) - since then, it keeps getting bigger. She's a pretty big girl, could this be a fat buildup, hardware disease, or a tumor of some type? Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
20arqkm.jpg

Looks like you have a bunch of clover so Dun is probably right. The other consideration in my mind is an abscess brewing. But that would be kind of hard and tender as opposed to how fat would feel.

branguscowgirl":3mubz8qx said:
BTW does she cough, have trouble breathing or wheeze?

Actually, she's rather frisky and active, so we weren't worried about her. However, an old-timer in our neighborhood - who raises Angus, pointed out that her brisket is larger than normal and could be indicative of a problem. As we've just recently started raising cattle (we had previously raised elk only), we listen closely when an experienced cattleman speaks. Any help is greatly appreciated by us.

I would get her in and have a feel of it. Dun is probably right and it is just fat. But I would want to feel it.
The "old-timer" was probably worried about brisket disease, where the brisket fills with fluid from having a heart problem. Usually associated with cattle being moved from a lower elevation to a higher elevation. But if she is not having any trouble breathing or a cough, not likely that is what it is. She would have other symptoms along wit it.

I'm a newbie on the board but have had my share of hardware (every cow & bull now has a magnet). Agreed, it looks like a fat brisket. In our experience if it's hardware it's not just the brisket; you would see swelling of the legs due to congestive heart failure (think old ladies with their feet bulging out of their shoes) and her legs look fine. You would also see what looks like bottle-jaw and she would lay on an upward incline to get more oxygen. Can initially be mistaken for pneumonia. Feed intake declines and she may walk funny, she will also lag from the herd. That said, our vet does a blood test to rule out tumors, lymphoma, etc - and tells us our cows are a little too fat.

Thanks to everyone for your help - you've all helped to put our minds at ease. At this time, we'll do a physical check of her brisket, move her off the clover, and will watch for any breathing/walking problems. Again, thanks for the help.

Latest posts