Switching from MLV to KV?

Help Support CattleToday:

smoky

Reaction score
I have been using Cattlemaster 4 + VL5 for several years. I was considering switching to a killed product as they are cheaper and I can get them with some of the additional new vaccines (hardjo bovis, etc). I typically give two injections of CM to my calves and one annual to all breeding stock. So, since the breeding stock has had the annual booster with CM, would an annual booster with a killed product be acceptable?

I would follow label directions and possibly call the manufacturer to make sure that you are actually providing complete coverage for your cattle.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Cattlemaster 4- VL5 is good stuff and if it is working and you have no troubles why change unless your vet thinks somthing in your invoriment has changed and he recomends that you change.

We asked our vet this question when we purchased some animals. They suggested giving them the booster as the carrier is different in the vaccines.

CattleMaster is a killed vaccine, so it won't matter if you use a different killed vaccine.

Part of Cattlemaster 4 + VL5 is Killed but part is specially altered Modified Live that makes it safe for pregnant cows.

ENNOT":2qq5tm6v said:
CattleMaster is a killed vaccine, so it won't matter if you use a different killed vaccine.

Their site says it is a modified live vaccine.

From my rather shaky understanding, if they've been previously been inoculated with a MLV that you can use the same MLV when they are bred.
We used to use MLV in the spring and killed in the fall. Now we use the same MLV both spring and fall. It may be just the vaccine we use.

dun

Cattlemaster is MLV but it's a different kind of MLV. Not sure the difference, but it's kind of "in between" MLV & Killed. Has been safe for calves sucking cows forever.
I would NEVER switch to Killed. Killed only lasts for a few months.
Stay with what you are doing or switch to a true MLV (BoviShield is also a Pfizer product). If you vaccinate your COWS PRIOR to breeding with MLV, than it is safe to vaccinate your nursing calves with the same product at any time.
By the way, normal MLV is CHEAPER than killed, has much less lump reaction and gives much better coverage.

smoky":3uzxo2p8 said:
I was considering switching to a killed product as they are cheaper and I can get them with some of the additional new vaccines (hardjo bovis, etc).

I'm fairly certain some types of Bovi-Shield contain Hardjo Bovis - I just can't remember which ones. I think Bovi-Shield Gold is one that does, though.

Latest posts