Swelling under the jaw in a calf....

Help Support CattleToday:

OKSHOWERS

Reaction score
I grew up showing steers, but that has been over 16 years now and I am a little rusty. My son wanted to show a steer and so here I am back in the ring again.
Anyway I need some advice or input, we have an angus cross that we pulled out of herd two weeks ago. He has a great disposition, but is still a little head butty and not wanting us to really get very close. But will allow us to scratch his head and around his face while tied up or eating and will lead, so he is getting there. Yesterday we noticed some swelling (about the size of half a softball) under his chin just in front of where the rope halter lies. (He has had that halter on what would have been 2 weeks on Monday) I felt of it, it seemed to be tender for him and it is hard. We had a local vet look at it today and he says it was from the rope. Told us to take the halter off for 2 weeks. Gave us some bolus meds for pain and swelling. I have never seen swelling like this before. I am not second guessing the vet, but he stated that because of this swelling he may always have a hard time with a halter......any advice? We are now going to lose 2 weeks of halter breaking him.

Thanksfor any input you may have.

Hi
we use the rope halters when we first get the steers. We let them drag the end of the lead around for a few weeks. This gets them use to the tugging and halter brakes them faster. We always have the nose and under the mouth problems. After a few weeks of dragging the lead around we switch to the halters with the chain. I think they are cow halters.
The bump will go away as long as there is no more infection. We have not yet had a calf ruined by this. They do not become head shy and it will heal real fast.
We are the only family around here that uses the cow halters. I don't know why other people shy away from them. We have better control over the animals and my kids can walk them and catch them easier.
If you would like to see what one looks like go to sullivan.com and look under show cattle/halters.
So........I think you will be just fine, it just breaks your heart to see them like this.

Just another note:
Are you letting the lead drag on the ground? if so, Keep your halter on him but make it so he cant step on the end.

When I first started breaking calves,years ago,I would let them drag a rope for a week or so before I would try to work with them. i would get this swelling and tenderness on almost every calf. I have learned that I can break them quicker, and without swelling, if I put the halter on the calf each time I work with it. I never leave the halter on them.
I will catch them on day one,let them throw a fit, then tie them high and tight and wash them. Being very careful not to get the head and neck wet,just the body. I work with them about an hour or so then turn them loose. I can get them walking and broke to tie in about three - four days. I will use pressure and release to teach them to lead,I don't drag them.
Yes the swelling will go away.

Yes, we were leaving the halter on him and it was dragging the ground. We took it off yesterday. I very well could have had a calf do this same thing when I was a kid, but there were so many and it's been a very long time and I just do not remember. My dad was the brain's behind the scene for my siblings and I, but he passed away 2 years ago and so I feel a little like a fish out of water when it comes to some things. Thank you very much for your input and advice it helps. :D

:welcome: Well I just wanted to say welcome and you came to the right place for good advice. We all may not be able to replace your dad, but I'm sure the advice will be good. :welcome:

Don't ever let an animal drag a rope halter for more than a few days at a time... IF you are even going to leave it on... that is just asking for lumps and infections. Once they've had a rope halter on a couple days, take it off, give them a breather, and then put on a well fitted hackamore (someone else called them cow halters).

We leave the halters on round the clock when we are breaking. We do put a half hitch in the lead around the eye so the halter doesn't tighten up. There is slack for them to step on the end, but pressure is released around the chin when they get off of it. If you leave it on and it tighens, many times it will not loosen up -- hence the swelling and the need for the half hitch. Works for us.

Latest posts