swelling on banded bull

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
We banded several bulls about 8 days ago, they are weighing about 700. One bull today we noticed has some swelling above the band, looks like fluid build up. Not huge, but noticeable if you look. He is eating fine and seems otherwise healthy, but you can tell it is uncomfortable to him. Do you think he needs treated? If so, with what? He was given a tetanus shot at banding and he is the only one of 15 that has this problem.

I have only done one bull at that age as I like to do them a couple of days old, and some swell even at that age.
The one I did swelled a lot and I really regretted doing him so late, I gave him a shot of long acting pen as well as an anti inflammatory, he had tetanus as well ( it took a long time for the sack to fall off). I would keep an eye on him and watch if the swelling increases even further, if he is eating, drinking, moving around all right then I would just keep a close watch on him. But as long as he is not going to slaughter in the next while you can give him a LA pen and an anti inflammatory .

I agree with hd onthe pen . I would go ahead and cut that old bag off below the band , sometimes all that movement at the band causes irritation . Spray with something like iodine and use a high dose of pen and if in doubt give a dose of tetanus antitoxin . Swelling below the band is serious, but that does not sound to be the case .

Larry

I got the bull in and checked him out, the swelling is actually infection as it is hard and there is some pus. Also, I think he is swelled in the sheath and there was a little pus where he pees. So, I gave him some LA pen. Do you think the scrotum should be cut off? It has been 10 days. Am wondering if cutting it off (above the band) would open that up for drainage and healing. Or, would that be a mistake with lots of bleeding? Thanks for the replies so far.

braunvieh":1gakv07v said:
I got the bull in and checked him out, the swelling is actually infection as it is hard and there is some pus. Also, I think he is swelled in the sheath and there was a little pus where he pees. So, I gave him some LA pen. Do you think the scrotum should be cut off? It has been 10 days. Am wondering if cutting it off (above the band) would open that up for drainage and healing. Or, would that be a mistake with lots of bleeding? Thanks for the replies so far.

I would cut the scrotum off below the band, I think it will still drain some .You're gonna have to stay on him with a high dose of pen until this clears up, use banamine as well .

Larry

Latest posts