Sweet Corn Yield

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea the yield of sweet corn per acre ? Generally speaking, everyone sells it by the dozen and I'm wondering if there is a ballpark figure for dozens / acre. We are picking and I'm just curious if our yield is in line or are we not doing well, it seems pretty good, just curious.

Yields – The state average yield in 1992 was 195 crates per acre. This average was low primarily due to lack of irrigation. If water requirements are met and other cultural practices optimized, sweet corn yields of about 250 crates or about 12,500 ears per acre, can be expected. Potential yields are 400 crates per acre using a high plant population (24,000 plants per acre) and assuming a crate pack of 60 ears.

Stole that from here
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-13.html

This year was bad po fer us'ins. 1 ear per stalk :(

Several years ago I was contracted to haul away all of the sweetcorn silage out of the local canning factory. I was paid per ton using 75% of the in scale weight. At the end of the year adding the 25 percent back into the total and dividing by total acres harvested it figured to be 7.41 tons per acre. They told me it varies from 2.5 tons per acre to 10 tons per acre depending upon variety.

Latest posts