sweep tub and alley

Help Support CattleToday:

I just got into beef cattle this year and I have a priefert premier open sweep, its the 90°, model number is S04 or S01 I think, used it yesterday and it worked to perfection. It also helped that I got it for $500 less than the price on their website from the fleet farm

SconnieBeef":308spzoj said:
I just got into beef cattle this year and I have a priefert premier open sweep, its the 90°, model number is S04 or S01 I think, used it yesterday and it worked to perfection. It also helped that I got it for $500 less than the price on their website from the fleet farm
SO4/SO1 are numbers for Preifert squeeze chutes.

OS1 is a bare bones Premiere open 90- deg sweep-- OS2 is a bare bones 180 degree sweep. etc etc.

http://www.priefert.com/ProductGroup/ca ... eeps-1537/

I have a Big Valley 135 degree sweep. An old Powder River crowd alley with a palp cage and a Powder River longhorn chute. I got them all at a farm equipment auction. I paid roughly a third the price all the pieces would have been if new from a supplier. I don't know where the sweep came from but it was brand new. Hadn't even been set up before. The set up works pretty good. Last fall the GF, the vet, and I preg checked 63 heifers in 75 minutes.

How sturdy is that Powder River palp cage Dave? I looked at a Preifert cage, and it seemed pretty light and shaky for what it would cost. Pretty cramped too.

Lots of distributors will knock a good bit off on units that have sat on their lot for a couple of years and have rust on them. I needed a 45 deg offset in an alley, and the local distributor let me have one they had had out on their lot for three years--sold it to me at way below their cost--about 1/2 what the catalog and website states. Said I was the 1st person who had ever asked about one and they were glad to get it off their inventory.

greybeard":1whp6f4u said:
How sturdy is that Powder River palp cage Dave? I looked at a Preifert cage, and it seemed pretty light and shaky for what it would cost. Pretty cramped too.

Lots of distributors will knock a good bit off on units that have sat on their lot for a couple of years and have rust on them. I needed a 45 deg offset in an alley, and the local distributor let me have one they had had out on their lot for three years--sold it to me at way below their cost--about 1/2 what the catalog and website states. Said I was the 1st person who had ever asked about one and they were glad to get it off their inventory.
I've got a couple of those from our old set up along with an over head sliding gate. Sure wish I could figure out a way to use them.

Oops sorry, I did mean to say that OS1 was what I got. I had to wait a month or so for the store to put together a truck load from texas so I don't think mine was cheaper because it sat (unless it sat in texas, if it did they painted it before I got it ;-) )

greybeard":3ug6tayg said:

It is plenty sturdy and fairly roomy too. It was made to hooked up the crowd alley but not the chute so I had to do a little adapting. One of the issues with putting togethre different makes, and vintages of equipment.

SconnieBeef":asp0o32i said:
Oops sorry, I did mean to say that OS1 was what I got. I had to wait a month or so for the store to put together a truck load from texas so I don't think mine was cheaper because it sat (unless it sat in texas, if it did they painted it before I got it ;-) )

Don't remember why, but I took this pic the same day I bought the 45 deg offset. This is the entrance end of a squeeze that has been sitting on the lot of a local distributor for about 3 years now. Lots of surface cosmetic rust in places, but still sound and fully functional. The salesman and store manager told me they would make me a good deal on it because of the cosmetic damage, but I just didn't need it because they wouldn't sell it without the auto/headgate and I already had one. I probably should go ahead and get it then sell the extra headgate.

Dun, I used the 45 because I have the 90 deg sweep, and I needed to kick the working alley off at an angle so I would have room for a squeeze and still keep everything inside the outer pen containment.

h8p7.jpg

greybeard":x3z9z6wz said:
Dun, I used the 45 because I have the 90 deg sweep, and I needed to kick the working alley off at an angle so I would have room for a squeeze and still keep everything inside the outer pen containment.
I used them to eliminate the square corners from a U shaped chute set up. When you need them they sure are slick, when you don;t they're just another piece of equipment sitting around in storage.