sweep tub and alley

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the WW half sheeted it works really well not sure if its the best for the money. Im sure theres some out there cheaper that may do just fine depending on how many head your running. Ive used several kinds I dont like the kind with the handle on top that pivots, but it could be im just not used to that type so it makes it a little awkward for me to use.

Probably Preifert mainly because A) it works and B)because they stand behind their products

backhoeboogie":1me78okf said:
Me Material costs only. You should try it yourself.

If I were a welder I probably would.

I like the looks of the WW equipment. Titan West has a really nice portable Tub/Alley/Headgate rig that is super easy to set up and use. The Southern States store in Owenton, KY rents it out for $50 per day. Can't by one that cheap.

I made one out of wood two years ago with the intention of replacing it when money was available and it works so well I intend to leave it that way.

I've seen some slick homemade ones out of used grain bin tin. Already curved at the right angles, all you gotta do is set the posts and gates.

dun":2rbvm8ta said:
Probably Preifert mainly because A) it works and B)because they stand behind their products

I have one of theirs, (90 deg sweep) and like it, but if I had a lot of cattle and it were going to see a lot of heavy use, I would recommend at minimum their 180 deg Rough Stock sweep system instead of the Premier open sweep system I have, and ideally-- a solid sweep system.
Other manufacturers probably make as good a system too.

But, the price differences between the solid and open systems are significant. At my age and for the # of cattle I have, I just couldn't justify spending the $ on the better systems.

http://www.for-most.com/portablesystems.html

We just purchased a "Pro Series" set-up similar to this one last spring with a few minor tweaks and LOVE it. Had an extra sliding gate installed in the alley and a scale installed so while one animal is in the headgate getting vaccinated/preg checked/A.I.'d etc, the next one waiting is getting weighed. Nice to be portable if needed also.

Probably preifert if your buying, but I agree that if you can do it yourself that's best, it's cheaper and the nicest store bought stuff available has never been impressive to me.

I agree with making your own for a few reasons. 1) it's cheaper 2) you can make it fit your existing barn, pins, ground, etc.... 3) if you have to change something to make it work, you're not cutting up several thousand dollars worth of equipment

dieselbeef":11r1p4g3 said:
http://www.priefert.com/ProductDetails/cattle-equipment-57/sweep-systems-536/premier-open-sweeps-537/premier-open-sweeps-1537/os-4

i got this...and i use it set up in a corner and use portable panels to make a pen.

thats a great price btw...i paid more than that for mine 10 yrs ago

Same here, in 90 degree.
The only difference I see in 90 and 180 is 2 extra curved panels and 2 extra braces to make a 90 into a 180.

greybeard":1qmbklp3 said:
dieselbeef":1qmbklp3 said:
http://www.priefert.com/ProductDetails/cattle-equipment-57/sweep-systems-536/premier-open-sweeps-537/premier-open-sweeps-1537/os-4

i got this...and i use it set up in a corner and use portable panels to make a pen.

Same here, in 90 degree.
The only difference I see in 90 and 180 is 2 extra curved panels and 2 extra braces to make a 90 into a 180.
Ours is a 180, with the area we had to work in a 90 just wouldn;t have been functional

dun":1ua31p8d said:
greybeard":1ua31p8d said:
dieselbeef":1ua31p8d said:

Same here, in 90 degree.
Ours is a 180, with the area we had to work in a 90 just wouldn;t have been functional

Oh--I only meant 'material" difference. Functionally, there's a LOT of difference.

I can easily understand the footprint part too--mine would have planned out a lot better with the 180. and Lot's less stressful when you are turning them right back in the same direction they just came from.