Sustain III Calf Boluses

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Woohoo! Almost 2.5 years later the calf boluses are now back on the market - with limited availability. I ordered the cattle boluses yesterday from Valley Vet (already got them today) but the calf boluses were still unavailable. But I went to one of our local Co-Op's today and there was a brand spanking new 50 count container on the shelf. Snatched it up!

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113839&p=1482271&hilit=sustain+III+calf+bolus#p1482271

Thanks for the update, just now saw your post. Wife is on her way to our Southern States Co op and I asked her to check if they had some in stock.

TCRanch said:
Rarely need them but definitely don't like to be without.

Same here, they were my go to for years, now have had to get the little yellow Terramycin pills just to have something on hand if needed. They didn't have them at our Co op, said they didn't make them anymore. Back in the winter we talked with a representative from a vet supply store and they implied that they were unavailable at that time but should be coming available within a couple weeks at that time. Apparently they are just now coming in stock.

Silver said:
Is CalfSpan available in the US?

No, it's not. Looks like it's essentially the same as Sustain. Which, by the way, I use in the pasture at the first sign of foot rot. One of my bulls was limping last week so I stuck a screwdriver between his toes to get a whiff (he's such a chill bull, didn't phase him). Didn't knock me out but didn't smell like roses so an early case. In a perfect world I'd get him in the chute & thoroughly clean it out but, picking my battles, hand-fed him Sustain with cubes. He's good to go; no limping, no smell!

TCRanch said:
Silver said:
Is CalfSpan available in the US?

No, it's not. Looks like it's essentially the same as Sustain. Which, by the way, I use in the pasture at the first sign of foot rot. One of my bulls was limping last week so I stuck a screwdriver between his toes to get a whiff (he's such a chill bull, didn't phase him). Didn't knock me out but didn't smell like roses so an early case. In a perfect world I'd get him in the chute & thoroughly clean it out but, picking my battles, hand-fed him Sustain with cubes. He's good to go; no limping, no smell!

Interesting. I don't have an animal I could get that close to out on pasture. So I use a Medi Dart with an LA for suspected foot rot cases.
I use the boluses on calves at calving time as required, although my vet claims they don't have a high enough dosage to be terribly effective. But I have good luck using the boluses in combination with an inject-able antibiotic, and it seems that when you find something that works you should stick with it.

Noticed valley vet has the calf bolus available again now. Ordered some and already received it.

@TCRanch
Some of your threads sure like to be hijacked.... lol
So what does one typically use these boluses for?
Prevention? Or medicinally?
Sustain III Cattle Boluses or Calf Boluses. Sulfamethazine in a sustained release bolus provides treatment level for 3 days in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle. Effective against foot rot, shipping fever, calf diphtheria, acute metritis caused by organisms sensitive to sulfamethazine. Dosage is one bolus per 50 lbs.

Very effective for scours in calves. Rarely need it because all my calves get First Defense at birth but I also use it for foot rot, if they're a little droopy and (off label) pinkeye, if I catch it early. This is my go-to for treatment when they're in the pasture, primarily because all my cows (and bulls) and most of my calves are hand feeders so I break a bolus in half and pop it in their mouth with a couple cubes. A balling gun is the recommended method.

Latest posts