Surrounded by Trich infected herds

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
We haven't had any issues but the herd to the was of us has had fertility issues for about four years. Found out in a roundabout way the place is infected with Trich.

Funny thing it is a vet's herd. He blamed the herd to the west of me, which has only been here a year. Vet rented them a bull and now the other bulls are infected, too.

In the old days local operations were not shipping cattle in and out from all over the country...

branguscowgirl":3sc19w74 said:
Just one word. Hotwires! (Well, shoulda been two words. :p ) Keep away the neighbors!

Yes Ma'am!!!

Thank goodness the cows can't give it to each other. The only reason I found out was because open heifers jumped the fence to run with my hamburger bull calf.

Trich is a bad deal, we have a good friend that just found trich in his herd, a neighbors bull jumped the fence and left the gift of Trich. It is becoming more and more of an issue. We have folks asking us all the time to use one of our bulls for just a few head but we just can't take the chance of exposing our bulls to trich.

gizmom

the only way to get rid of trich in any infected herd is cull all postive testing cows.because they wont do you any good.

bigbull338":2qd9pana said:
the only way to get rid of trich in any infected herd is cull all postive testing cows.because they wont do you any good.
Ummm....if I'm not mistaken but isn't these cows will cleaning the trich out and become negative again?

muddy once a cow gets trich she will always be a carrier.yes some can get over it in 6 months and breed back.but that happens to very few.it will always give probs till its been completely culled from the herd.i bought a new reg bull in early summer the seller didnt want to trich test the bull because some1 we both know told them no need to test him.so i just told them get the bull tested because it could cause alot of problems.they finally got him tested.i wasnt going to ruin my cows.

bigbull338":1je5fpqy said:
muddy once a cow gets trich she will always be a carrier.yes some can get over it in 6 months and breed back.but that happens to very few.it will always give probs till its been completely culled from the herd.i bought a new reg bull in early summer the seller didnt want to trich test the bull because some1 we both know told them no need to test him.so i just told them get the bull tested because it could cause alot of problems.they finally got him tested.i wasnt going to ruin my cows.
most cows cleared the trich in 60-90 days.....so I don't know where you got the cow become trich carrier for life.

JWBrahman":7cn5hqvl said:
We haven't had any issues but the herd to the was of us has had fertility issues for about four years. Found out in a roundabout way the place is infected with Trich.

Funny thing it is a vet's herd. He blamed the herd to the west of me, which has only been here a year. Vet rented them a bull and now the other bulls are infected, too.

In the old days local operations were not shipping cattle in and out from all over the country...

FYI their is a vaccine that I looked at since we seem to have the neighbors bulls in with our cows as much as theres. Dont think its cheap though.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/trichguard-v5l

Latest posts