Surprise visitor 30 yds from the house

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
B-Eagle.jpg

Awesome pic. I see one here on my place a few times a year. Even with my phone in my pocket, I don't think to get a pic.

Around here these days bald eagles are a dime a dozen back in the sixties it was very rare to see one .
They sit in the fir tree at my moms house and drop fish parts in their yard ,her dog always stinks!

kenny thomas":2dyvlni2 said:
I wish I could see them all the time. I love watching them. Dun, is that a resident or just migrating?
We're a half mle from the river so they are around a lot. We're some 600 feet above the river so we don;t see them up here that often.
In the late 70s at Port Orchard washington in the winter every old pilling had one sitting on it. Used to really enjoy fishing seom of the low land lakes and watch them around their rookeries.

They used to be rare here but are becoming more common. There is a nesting site just up the road from my house and I see them occasionally. Never got close enough to get a photo like that though.

I love it while they are hanging out here, it's not often enough, I can watch them for hours.

Had a Nesting pair here till last year. The dead pine tree finally fell and they moved somewhere else. I saw them do their mating ritual a couple years ago and I was spectacular to watch. They are still around but having found their new nest yet.

Their beautiful but I don't want them around my place. I have a weiner dog and 2 barn cats that I want to keep around. And if one of them beautiful birds was to catch one of my animals I'd be upset.

highgrit":jl9gyhrx said:
Their beautiful but I don't want them around my place. I have a weiner dog and 2 barn cats that I want to keep around. And if one of them beautiful birds was to catch one of my animals I'd be upset.
Never had a problem with that. The ones here fish most of the time. I did have One lite next to the house one morning to get a cow's after birth. I see them eating road kill. Owls and hawks are more dangerous to yard animals

highgrit":10xc0fmf said:
Only speaking from what I have studied and read and not what I have seen but, it seems they do not catch anything except fish alive. They eat a lot of dead stuff just like a buzzard. Again only what I have read and studied so that could be wrong. The few I see are along the river but usually after road kill.

Dun, Port Orchard is where my mom lives. We have lost a couple chicken to eagles over the years.
They cut a tree down near Kitsap lake that had an eagle nest in it and it had several small dog collars in it along with trolling gear for trout.

Named'em Tamed'em":1ljptpe5 said:
Dun, Port Orchard is where my mom lives. We have lost a couple chicken to eagles over the years.
They cut a tree down near Kitsap lake that had an eagle nest in it and it had several small dog collars in it along with trolling gear for trout.
I fished Long Lake almost every day, 1 end of the lake was all snags and that was the rookerie. Used to get a kick out of watching the eagles bully the toehr fish catching birds into dropping their catch then seeing the eagles swoop done and catch the fish in the air.

dun":1wqx18hm said:
Named'em Tamed'em":1wqx18hm said:
I fished Long Lake almost every day, 1 end of the lake was all snags and that was the rookerie. Used to get a kick out of watching the eagles bully the toehr fish catching birds into dropping their catch then seeing the eagles swoop done and catch the fish in the air.

My uncle has a place on Long Lake. I spent a bunch of time there fishing back in the 60's. Learned to water ski there too.

You can see Bald Eagles pretty much every day at my place. At times there will be 3 or 4 of them sitting in the trees a hundred feet from the house. The chickens get nervous when they do that.

Latest posts