Superstitions

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC":1yolqlvh said:
Ok, I gotta ask. Who the heck is Mary Wentworth?

I really never knew who she was, just a urban legend, maybe a witch, or evil person, when I was a kid. I do remember the wild kids in hte block, kind of used it to scare other kids away from them, I think was the purpose.

GMN":2gbj0m4g said:
VanC":2gbj0m4g said:

I really never knew who she was, just a urban legend, maybe a witch, or evil person, when I was a kid. I do remember the wild kids in hte block, kind of used it to scare other kids away from them, I think was the purpose.

Mary Wentworth was the second wife of Captain Wentworth, who came across to the States on the Mayflower, she was tried as a witch, and children made a game called Bloody Mary, that if you stand in front of the mirror and repeatedly called her name she would come in the night and take your soul.

chrisy":15ujpcpf said:
GMN":15ujpcpf said:
VanC":15ujpcpf said:

Mary Wentworth was the second wife of Captain Wentworth, who came across to the States on the Mayflower, she was tried as a witch, and children made a game called Bloody Mary, that if you stand in front of the mirror and repeatedly called her name she would come in the night and take your soul.

Now that sounds just like my ex.

Cal

Gate Opener":1auiha6y said:
Jogeephus":1auiha6y said:
If a spider writes your name in his web you are a gonner for sure. Ask anybody whose seen their name in one. Well, I guess you can't but then again, doesn't this make my point. ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, I do believe in certain things. Premonitions, for one. And I also believe in the spirit world and definitely angels since I have seen them with my own eyes. I also think there is a lot of natural knowledge which indians and early settlers knew that would now be viewed as superstitious nonsense today but I'm not going to knock something that gets results for the user.

Okay, now you just have to tell the story of the Angels.

I'd like to hear the story about the Angels too. I will probably tend to believe you. My brother thinks that he may have had an Angel visit him one day - he was alone and painting the barn and the ladder was in a bad spot and he was kind of pushing his luck leaning way out and over. Out of nowhere a car drove into the yard and an older guy got out and said he noticed he was painting and the ladder needed held. However, the ladder wasn't very easily seen from the road because of some trees, I mean, you might have seen it, but probably only if you were going slow and knew someone had put it there. So this old guy held the ladder and made small talk, when my brother was done the guy hopped in his car and drove off. We live in an area where everybody kind of knows everybody and my brother didn't recognize the car or the guy and during their conversation the guy seemed to not know any family/friends or anyone from the area... Also, in high school I had a teacher tell me an Angel appeared to his brother and tell him to become a Preacher. I believe every word of it.

Never, ever put a hat on a bed. It is guarenteed bad luck. I've seen it time and time again. Once, a girl I knew didn't believe it, she kept getting sick. Then she got well, and the morning after keeping her hat on her bed she got bucked off her horse and broke her jaw. The old cowboy that rode with us, told her to stop with the hat on the bed. He wouldn't even go in her bunk room with it on the bed. After that, she stopped with it and things went well for her.

The color yellow is bad luck, too. I always have a bad day when I wear my yellow shirt. I finally wised up and burned it.

A ladybug landing on you is good luck.

A lady bug landing on you good luck, not when they bite you and leave a scar. I have two on my arm, little round raised red lumps that have been there for years now, so no chance of them going away.

Latest posts