Superstitions

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
How many of ya'll are supersticious?
And some examples.
I am not at all,but my dad being 1/2 cherokee believed in just about all of them ever heard of.
For example if a whiporwill lands on your house and does his calling sombody will die in that house that night.
Can't remember one landing on the house though.
Cal

If a spider writes your name in his web you are a gonner for sure. Ask anybody whose seen their name in one. Well, I guess you can't but then again, doesn't this make my point. ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, I do believe in certain things. Premonitions, for one. And I also believe in the spirit world and definitely angels since I have seen them with my own eyes. I also think there is a lot of natural knowledge which indians and early settlers knew that would now be viewed as superstitious nonsense today but I'm not going to knock something that gets results for the user.

It isnt a superstition if it works, is what most people will tell you. Sports are full of them. Dont step on the foul line as you go on or off the field, unless it works for you, then do step on it. Wear the same socks you wore when you won. Eat the same meal, everything is done the same as when you played well or the team won. All of this only works until you lose, then it is back to the drawing board for a new superstition.
The main superstitions I have are 1. Always sell at the high peak of the market. 2. Always buy at the low valley of the market. 3. Always cut hay when it isnt going to rain. 4. Always plant before the rain so the seed gets wet and comes up. Anyone who believes that anybody can do those things is a whole lot more gullible than anyone should ever be.

My mother would always make us throw salt over our shoulder before going into the house after a funeral. Thats to keep Death from entering the house and choosing its next victim. She also said it was bad luck to kill crickets so if there was one in the house it was scooped up and tossed outside.

Walt

Speaking of throwing salt...when I turn over a salt shaker, it doesn't matter if any is spilled or not...I pick what's up on the table and shake a little more in my hand and throw it over my shoulder. In fact, since I don't remember which shoulder it's supposed to go over, I throw it over both shoulders.

My girl scout leader was superstitious...she'd turn around in the middle of the street if a black cat ran across in front of her. All of us girl scouts were in the back of her pickup. It took us awhile, but we finally figured out if we were going down the street and she busted a U..ie, a black cat was on the loose. She read tea leaves, too, but we couldn't talk her into readin' ours...and GAWD help us if we killed a spider!

I miss that lady...bunches and lots...

Alice

Jogeephus":ewb5yrzp said:
If a spider writes your name in his web you are a gonner for sure. Ask anybody whose seen their name in one. Well, I guess you can't but then again, doesn't this make my point. ;-) :lol:

Seriously though, I do believe in certain things. Premonitions, for one. And I also believe in the spirit world and definitely angels since I have seen them with my own eyes. I also think there is a lot of natural knowledge which indians and early settlers knew that would now be viewed as superstitious nonsense today but I'm not going to knock something that gets results for the user.

Okay, now you just have to tell the story of the Angels.

My Grandma was very superstitious and she had premonitions too. When I was little it was spooky, she knew stuff that hadn't happened and I thought she surely must be a witch! She did everything by the phase of the moon and she would NEVER sit at a table if there were 13 place settings. I think Grandpa was superstitious too with some of his advise I remember, ie: never tempt fate, death is best kept in the barn (if an animal was lost that is what he would say), what goes around comes around....
wish I could remember more..

Don't know if this is considered superstition or not since it is mentioned in Genesis 1:14, but there are signs you can go by. A few that could be helpful with cattle are:

Don't wean or castrate during a sign that is in a vital part. Sagitarius, Picses or Capricorn are good signs for this.

Fence posts set at the old of the moon will not loosen as readily as those set when the moon is building.

The twelve days after Christmas will indicate the weather of the months of the upcoming year. Rain on the fourth day will indicate a rainy April. Sure was accurate for our weather this year.

Kill weeds, trees or renovate pasture during the signs of Gemini, Leo or Virgo preferably in the last quarter of the moon.

If it hasn't rained in a while and there is a ring around the moon it will rain. Rain will last for as many days as there are stars in the ring.

To make it rain, "or try", you can draw a picture of the sun in some sand or plowed dirt with a stick. Then draw an X across it then spit on the sun. Also hanging a snake on the fence works too. Also, cutting hay is guaranteed to work since you will get rain within a day or two of cutting. :lol:

Yes I am very superstitious.

Black cats crossing your path 7 years bad luck--hey maybe thats why I have so much bad luck, I only got about 10 black cats here!

The one I do not agree with is the number 13 is bad luck--13 is my lucky number, has done me well over the years.

Step on a crack break your mothers back, really thought this was true when we were kids.

The one where you couldn't say I believe in Mary Wentworth, some kids said if you said this you would die the next day, so we all never said it as kids.

Just some that I can think of right now.

GMN":1yt4u13n said:
Yes I am very superstitious.

Black cats crossing your path 7 years bad luck--hey maybe thats why I have so much bad luck, I only got about 10 black cats here!

The one I do not agree with is the number 13 is bad luck--13 is my lucky number, has done me well over the years.

Step on a crack break your mothers back, really thought this was true when we were kids.

The one where you couldn't say I believe in Mary Wentworth, some kids said if you said this you would die the next day, so we all never said it as kids.

Just some that I can think of right now.

Oh my gosh! I'd forgotten the one about Mary Wentworth! Yes, our whole girl scout troop never uttered her name... :shock:

Alice

Van, as well as I can remember she was part of a ghost story that we'd tell around the campfire and at slumber parties. That was a long, long time ago...but I remember that my girl scout leader would shush us when we'd start talking about her.

Maybe GMN can shed light. I really thought it was something that was told around my neck of the woods...I didn't realize she was infamous!

Alice

Alice":nokroiir said:
Speaking of throwing salt...when I turn over a salt shaker, it doesn't matter if any is spilled or not...I pick what's up on the table and shake a little more in my hand and throw it over my shoulder. In fact, since I don't remember which shoulder it's supposed to go over, I throw it over both shoulders.

My girl scout leader was superstitious...she'd turn around in the middle of the street if a black cat ran across in front of her. All of us girl scouts were in the back of her pickup. It took us awhile, but we finally figured out if we were going down the street and she busted a U..ie, a black cat was on the loose. She read tea leaves, too, but we couldn't talk her into readin' ours...and GAWD help us if we killed a spider!

I miss that lady...bunches and lots...

Alice

I always wondered about that a black cat, now I have two and have had only good luck since. .Salt goes over your left shoulder for luck thrown by your right hand.
'If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive'.....yea right. :lol: ;-)

I rodeoed one summer with a couple guys from Florida-- and I'd never seen such superstitious folks before in my life...
Rodeo cowboys naturally have superstitions-- don't lay your hat on a bed-- don't wear yellow shirts-- don't eat peanuts behind the chutes...But those guys were radical...I was driving down Interstate 87 one day when a black cat ran across the road in front of us and they almost wrecked me trying to avoid letting it across-- then were spitting on the windshields and making a cross in it :roll: :roll: I think they'd kissed too many bulls in their career ;-) :lol: :lol:

Supersticions to me are something just to put more stress in your life. Kinda like Old wives tales,course some of them turn out prety true.

One of my dads, If you borrow a pocket knife from someone never hand it back with the blade open.
Don't know how they are now but back in the sixty's served with Turk Commando's and if they took their knife out of the sheath for any reason it had to draw blood before they put it back. Made ya learn real quick not to ask them to see their knife.

Cal

Now I'm not too superstious, but I do believe in listening to your "gut instinct" and angels and ghosts.
Since Jo hasn't told his "angel" story I will share a few of mine.
Back in '97 I heard my front door open and heard a man go walking across my kitchen and into the bedroom. thinking it was my husband I asked what he had forgotten. No answer. Walked into the bedroom, nobody there, Never heard them leave or the front door open or close again.
In '01 I was pregnant with our daughter. I suddenly woke up from a dead sleep and saw an angel hovering over the bed just above my belly. I instantly grabbed for my stomach and she disappeared. Some deep instinct told me that something was wrong, but the baby was being protected. My daughter almost died the day she was born, but she survived.
Just last month I was having a very bad time and not being able to sleep I was just laying in bed crying when I felt a hand on my right shoulder. My husband was asleep on my left side sound asleep and snoring.

not an angel story but anges reminded me of it. my grandma had a lap dog that out of nowhere started following my mom everywhere. two weeks later she found out she was pregnant with me. the dog went everywhere with her and when i was born he wouldnt leave my side. thats the cosest bond i have ever had with a dog. my mom thinks he knew she was pregnant before she did and he was protecting. one morning i was very sick and couldnt get out of bed i almost went to the hospital. later that day my grandma called and told my mother he died. i still wake up to him barking even though i know he is dead