Superior auction

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I have my calves signed for the August 15-17th superior livestock auction sale. They will be Vac 34, all natural, and VASE program. The VASE is what they call having RFID tags, and verified age and source. NERVOUS. Has anyone on here sold through superior, or bought? Your thoughts and opinions welcome. Guessing their weight 45 days out and having to do a .10 slide has me rattled a bit also.

i know t makes you nervious joe. since its your 1st time doing business with them.ive spent alot of time watching their sales an they work to get the best price.yours should do good with the vase an vac45. im assuming your cattle are blk hided.how meny pots do you have consigned. head that is. scott

I have one pot load, about 125 head, with mostly steers. They are all out of f-1 angus x hereford. AI sired to Strategy, PFred, and Objective, from ABS with good clean up bulls. The guy that video's them thought they were good, but I'm sure he's never told anyone their calves look like $*@!. He was very impressed with the disposition, when they came right up and stuck their head in his truck.

sounds like some nice calves. the reps have no reason to tell you a bunch of crapp, so relax . scott

cope, yeah all home raised, no brands.

Jake":p67st2ua said:
post some pictures of them we'll tell ya the truth. what base weight you selling them at?

Yeah, post some pics. Could you give us more info, Lot#, location, and date will sell. If you have.If you have the lot# that would be better.
:D :lol: You bet I'll watch for it. Auctions in RFD are great. I believe youre in MN so prices up there are high, seems to me.
And why is that- NM, AZ sells lower than other states.

My neighbor buys through them. He does not want to treat a lot of co mingled local calves. Saves him time but costs a little more.

I have been looking at selling through video or internet auctions. As long as you have at least a pot load - - is there any reason you would not do better than the local sales barn?

I guess maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to do business locally, if possible. In many cases, if we provided our local market operators with load lots of cattle and health practices like we do for the satellite sales, they could do us a better job. I would encourage more producers to visit with their market operators, tell them what you've got, and when you want to sell them, and give them enough notice to get some more orders for your cattle. Give him the same product to market that you are willing to give Superior.

Superior doesn't want your gooseneck load of cull cows or your crippled bull. We'll always need a place to go with those. Our local markets can't survive on those few culls and the cuts or knockouts from your Superior deal. One of these days we will wake up and wonder what happened to our local markets. In fact, the consolidation and closing of some of them has been happening for years in my part of the Country. I believe in trying to help somebody that's always been there to help me when I needed it. I might take home a little less on my calves, but I know where the commission goes. That's worth it to me.

Good points on supporting your local market - - I will give them a call and see if we can do better. My "beef" is that they pick you apart if you bring in an "uneven" semi load of steers - - they usually want to sort by color if they are not all black (reverse discrimination), by frame size (I give you that one), by condition, and by weight to within 30 lbs (a little tight to my thinking).

I am working at improving uniformity as I should, but the sorting can be excessive at times.

Stocker Steve":2amgknn7 said:
Good points on supporting your local market - - I will give them a call and see if we can do better. My "beef" is that they pick you apart if you bring in an "uneven" semi load of steers - - they usually want to sort by color if they are not all black (reverse discrimination), by frame size (I give you that one), by condition, and by weight to within 30 lbs (a little tight to my thinking).

I am working at improving uniformity as I should, but the sorting can be excessive at times.
Try a gate-cut load at each market on the same week and see how you fare at each.

Texan":2q8par5v said:
I guess maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like to do business locally, if possible. In many cases, if we provided our local market operators with load lots of cattle and health practices like we do for the satellite sales, they could do us a better job. I would encourage more producers to visit with their market operators, tell them what you've got, and when you want to sell them, and give them enough notice to get some more orders for your cattle. Give him the same product to market that you are willing to give Superior.

Superior doesn't want your gooseneck load of cull cows or your crippled bull. We'll always need a place to go with those. Our local markets can't survive on those few culls and the cuts or knockouts from your Superior deal. One of these days we will wake up and wonder what happened to our local markets. In fact, the consolidation and closing of some of them has been happening for years in my part of the Country. I believe in trying to help somebody that's always been there to help me when I needed it. I might take home a little less on my calves, but I know where the commission goes. That's worth it to me.

I sure agree with you on supporting the local market- you don't know how important they are until you lose them...Several years ago the local yard closed- made for a 150 mile plus haul to the nearest salesyard to sell a spot in the eye cow or an out of action bull....You soon realize how handy it is to have them nearby....Now that the local yard has reopened under new ownership I support them all I can- and have found that they seem to work just a little bit harder for those that are faithful to them.....

Actually the Superior rep for my area, owns Kimball Livestock barn. So are you saying he's shootin himself in the foot here?

Dee":2dwlsx5j said:
Actually the Superior rep for my area, owns Kimball Livestock barn. So are you saying he's shootin himself in the foot here?

Dee- That is the same for my area- so they do make something off handling the cattle going on Superior...But you are not locked in to using that rep- not around here anyway, as many of these guys handle cattle all over the state.....

What are the trade offs between Superior vs. a local auction?

I assume the shrink will be about the same, you pay no trucking, and the commission will be a little higher.

Am I missing anything? :?:

Joe they have the pic's on the web site. Nice bunch. What are you using for an RFID tag, and for a computer program and do you have a scanner? I just tagged my calves and am manually enter the info into the Bovitrak system, and it is time consuming. Just thought you had experience and could offer time saving advice.

Being of the age I am I got the I think Dextron tags. And had someone from the company come out and help tag, and rented the wand for $100 and had them enter the info. My computer skills are not up to par. So I am of no help to you. sorry

Latest posts