Texas cattle auction Aug 31, 2020

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
This don't look to good. Decatur cattle auction. How does this compare with your locations?

Those prices aren't great, but they're not all that bad except those lows are really low. Must be Jersey steers or some real sickly calves. Keep in mind the week before Labor Day is usually a bad week to sell cattle with the upcoming holiday. Prices on calves should pick up some during the early fall runs, especially for preconditioned calves with two rounds of vaccines, weaned 45 days, etc.

They have a weaned calf sale on Labor Day. A form is filled out certifying weaned 45 days and they will announce vaccinations given. Never tried this sale, but thinking about it. Calves have to be there 2 days prior to the sale.

Don't know how Labor Day will affect turnout and prices. What do y'all think about the holiday affecting sales prices?

ccr said:
They have a weaned calf sale on Labor Day. A form is filled out certifying weaned 45 days and they will announce vaccinations given. Never tried this sale, but thinking about it. Calves have to be there 2 days prior to the sale.

Don't know how Labor Day will affect turnout and prices. What do y'all think about the holiday affecting sales prices?
If it's advertized well Labor day won't mean much. Why are they there 2 days before the sale?

Don't know why the 2 day requirement. Calves have to be there on the Saturday before the Monday sale.

http://www.decaturlivestockmarket.com/BulletinBoard.html

I used them once. I didn't like the Saturday delivery into a small pen with hay that was fair at best. My shrink was high. The holiday probably won't matter much, they generally have a fair amount of buyers. They are good folks, just not for me.

Compare their sale report to the stockyards at OKC. Might be worth the trip it if you have more than a handful. They feed them grain up there. My shrink is very small. Your commission company will get your program to the auctioneer to announce if you supply it. Its best to write it on a card that they can hand to the auctioneer. I take mine early on Sunday morning to sell Monday. They are not open on Labor Day though.