Sunflower planting

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever planted sunflower seeds in several acres. I am going to plant about 8 to 10 acres next week and have no experence at it. Would it be better to broad cast or drill it in.

Well, first off you are posting on the grasses, pastures and hay board, where such a plant is considered a noxious weed. Noone here is going to plant sunflowers in their hayfield.

Might get a better reception on the gardening board. If you are wanting to attract wildlife, try the sports,hunting,fishing and wildlife. board

I plant and encourage Maximilian sunflower in my pastures. Cows love it and will graze it to the ground. Good feed source during hot dry periods. Careful management required to keep from over grazing, as with any native plant. I broadcast in the late winter.

1982vett":1djwu8bc said:
Well, first off you are posting on the grasses, pastures and hay board, where such a plant is considered a noxious weed. Noone here is going to plant sunflowers in their hayfield.

Might get a better reception on the gardening board. If you are wanting to attract wildlife, try the sports,hunting,fishing and wildlife. board

Why didn't you just say " I don't know"??? :lol2:

TexasBred":y9atf246 said:
1982vett":y9atf246 said:

OK. I don't know why anyone would want to plant a weed like that in a pasture or hayfield. :lol2: Plenty of other crops that produce a lot better grazing. My cows eat bloodweed and some variety of thistles, but you are not going to catch me planting them on purpose.

1982vett":1mvbsksj said:
TexasBred":1mvbsksj said:
1982vett":1mvbsksj said:

OK. I don't know why anyone would want to plant a weed like that in a pasture or hayfield. :lol2: Plenty of other crops that produce a lot better grazing. My cows eat bloodweed and some variety of thistles, but you are not going to catch me planting them on purpose.

AMEN to that!!!! :shock: I have done my damndest to get rid of them in a leased hay field. I'll kill everyone I see given half the chance... :devil2:

Angus/Brangus":3d6zl44k said:
Well, if you want to do a little Dove hunting out of your hay meadow or pasture those Sunflowers are great!! We tried planting them, for this purpose, in 1/4 acre bunches, out in the pasture, one time. Tilled up the soil and broadcast before a rain. Not one seed came up. If we did it again we would drill it. Good luck!

I don't know about you but around here I could meet my limit every evening with out the pesky sun flowers. Heck, just in tree's right around the house I have seen atleast 1/2 a dozen dove nests. As for the hunting being better over sun flowers maybe you should try Sudan/Millet/Oat's/Wheat, you may be suprised & then you get a dual purpose forage/crop. ;-)

SSS Angus":37b6ec45 said:
Angus/Brangus":37b6ec45 said:
Well, if you want to do a little Dove hunting out of your hay meadow or pasture those Sunflowers are great!! We tried planting them, for this purpose, in 1/4 acre bunches, out in the pasture, one time. Tilled up the soil and broadcast before a rain. Not one seed came up. If we did it again we would drill it. Good luck!

I don't know about you but around here I could meet my limit every evening with out the pesky sun flowers. Heck, just in tree's right around the house I have seen atleast 1/2 a dozen dove nests. As for the hunting being better over sun flowers maybe you should try Sudan/Millet/Oat's/Wheat, you may be suprised & then you get a dual purpose forage/crop. ;-)

All that stuff is long gone when dove season starts.

TexasBred":2tvnhfdy said:
SSS Angus":2tvnhfdy said:
Angus/Brangus":2tvnhfdy said:

All that stuff is long gone when dove season starts.

Depending on what part of the state your in Dove season can open as early as Sept. 1st and close as late as Jan.12th. Come Sept. 1st I still have plenty of Sudan left in the field and by Nov. my oat's are well on there way. ;-)

TexasBred":1185b6vs said:
Guess they can eat those tender little oat shoots cause there won't be any grain on it.
I guess when you harvest you get 100% of everthing right? I guess Sudan doesn't go to a seed head and even if it did Dove wouldn't touch them. :roll:

Like I said in my first post; around here I can take all of the dove I want without sunflowers so why the hel* would I go plant'n weeds in my fields?

SSS Angus":33eve54u said:
why the hel* would I go plant'n weeds in my fields?

Because he wants to is reason enough.
If I'm putting them in an established field I use a drill if open ground I disk it broadcast the seed and roll it.

bobby22":383jrdp2 said:
Should have put it in gardening I apologize.

No need to apologize. This is going to make some good discussion.

Around here their is no need to plant them. If you want sunflowers, just turn the soil.

My planters worked real good in planting them. Planted 60 acres for the Mega Dove Shoot. :banana: Sprayed herbicide and side-dressed fertilizer. Unfortunately I learned deer love them and I never saw the first flower. :mad: Got too many deer to grow them here.

dun":2d4znm0s said:
SSS Angus":2d4znm0s said:
why the hel* would I go plant'n weeds in my fields?

Because he wants to is reason enough.
If I'm putting them in an established field I use a drill if open ground I disk it broadcast the seed and roll it.

That's perfectly fine, I was just curious why you would plant a crop of weeds when you could plant a useable crop, I wasn't looking for the 6 year old "because I want to" reasoning. Geez, this is a "DISCUSSION BOARD" no need to get al bent out of shape. :wave:

"DISCUSSION BOARD" no need to get al bent out of shape."

Not much usable "Discussion". More like an argument board.
Some folks consider wheat a weed. I know I don't want it in my pastures. It gives an off taste to the beef.

Not much usable "Discussion". More like an argument board.
Some folks consider wheat a weed. I know I don't want it in my pastures. It gives an off taste to the beef.

what kind of an off flavor?
I had a friend that raised a pig on wheat- it was nasty tasting. I hadn't heard that it makes meat taste bad before.
I always feed my pigs milk and ice cream-mmm.

Susie

SSS Angus":hbs1zmsz said:
That's perfectly fine, I was just curious why you would plant a crop of weeds when you could plant a useable crop, I wasn't looking for the 6 year old "because I want to" reasoning. Geez, this is a "DISCUSSION BOARD" no need to get al bent out of shape. :wave:

Because he wants to may be reason enough for him. I don;t understand why anyone would plant serecia, but folks do. What is a vlaid reason for one person may be just BS to another. No need to question why, just provide information if you have any.

Latest posts