Sun Dogs....AND a Ring around the Sun...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Yep, saw both of these today, one after the other, when I was out doing some chores at home.

i guess that means more snow within at least 24 hours, doesn't it?

Explain what these are? Sounds interesting. I saw tracers in the sky tonight. Guys at Moody must have a new toy. :lol:

Jogeephus":2bvh7f3i said:
Explain what these are? Sounds interesting. I saw tracers in the sky tonight. Guys at Moody must have a new toy. :lol:

we have the big military planes fly over here at least a couple of times during the day. they are about 1 foot above the pine trees and sometimes cause mini stampedes.

Beefy":2swkudu3 said:
Jogeephus":2swkudu3 said:

we have the big military planes fly over here at least a couple of times during the day. they are about 1 foot above the pine trees and sometimes cause mini stampedes.

Yeah, I've had the you know what scared out of me by those guys before. I think they do it on purpose but I don't mind.

Jogeephus":3d3oke7r said:
Beefy":3d3oke7r said:
Jogeephus":3d3oke7r said:

Yeah, I've had the you know what scared out of me by those guys before. I think they do it on purpose but I don't mind.

i know they do. they ALWAYS will turn off their course to come fly over me when i'm out in the open pasture checking on the cows. training.

So all I guess I can say for that is thanks for hijacking this thread. :roll:

Either you guys were just playin around or else you didn't believe me...because all I was askin if you had any idea if you knew that seeing sundogs and/or a ring around the sun means precipitation/snow in the next 24 hours or longer. Sorry no pics, but that's what I saw yesterday, to tell the truth.

If you think I was trying to be BSing around, fine, but I seriously wasn't.

I'm gone (and yes, done too) now. Bye.

IluvABbeef":2ot093h4 said:
So all I guess I can say for that is thanks for hijacking this thread. :roll:

Either you guys were just playin around or else you didn't believe me...because all I was askin if you had any idea if you knew that seeing sundogs and/or a ring around the sun means precipitation/snow in the next 24 hours or longer. Sorry no pics, but that's what I saw yesterday, to tell the truth.

If you think I was trying to be BSing around, fine, but I seriously wasn't.

I'm gone (and yes, done too) now. Bye.

youre welcome.

24 hours or longer is a pretty long time.

Means that there are ice crystals at altitude. Has nothing to do with predicting snow. Always nice to see, we get that alot up here especially in fall when the weather is changing.
DMc

Sorry Iluvabeef, was waiting for an answer on what a sundog is. Never heard of it - not talking about cows. Sounded interesting. Rings around the moon here means rain here. But I have never heard of a sun dog. Please explain or show a pic.

A sundog is the ring around the sun from the break down of the visable spectrum by passing through ice crystals at altitude; also formed as streaks in the sky as the crystals are in the pattern of clouds. Any time sunlight is broken into the visable spectrum by the ice crystals it lights up the sky in quite a daytime light show. Commonly called sun dogs.
Same as sunlight passing through a prisim...physics 101.
Common up here in the northern latitudes...more cold weather.
DMc

Latest posts