Summer pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Have had 2 calves - both only a couple weeks old - get pneumonia so far this summer. Saved on lost one. Use Nuflor and Banamine on both. Difference was (I think) caught on early and one late.

Anyhow . . . how common is summer pneumonia? I've never had it at all . . . winter or summer. Cows are kept outdoors 24/7 as I've heard barns can contribute to pneumonia. Preventative thoughts? Why summer not winter? Does this predict a bad winter?

Pretty common down this way Angus. High temps and humidity. Much easier to raise calves in the winter than summer.

I get it here any time of the year when we have a thirty degree temperature swing in twenty-four hours. I work on large dairies for a living and they have the same problems so I know it's not just me. Cool mornings and hot afternoons seam to be worse than cold mornings and warm afternoons.

cow pollinater":1hlqam4h said:
I get it here any time of the year when we have a thirty degree temperature swing in twenty-four hours. I work on large dairies for a living and they have the same problems so I know it's not just me. Cool mornings and hot afternoons seam to be worse than cold mornings and warm afternoons.

Interesting. They both got hit after a cool morning and hot afternoon. Guess I need to keep a better lookout.

9259 - I don't know your operation, so don't take this offensively. "Generally" calves that are born by cows that are in good BCS, get proper colostrum, "should" have enough resistance to survive a weather stress.
Are you being affected by drought & your cows are thinner than norm? Calves born to thin cows have "weak calf syndrome" and can be susseptable to most anything.

No offense - I agree with you. Good solid cows (one 4 the other 6 yo). 6 BCS - cows are good and wet. I always watch them suck to make sure they get colostrum. Lots of grass. Dry. ADE mineral. All calves get a shot of BoSe and double vaccinated for scours at birth. One heifer and one bull castrated at birth. Calves are active and vibrant then sick. Don't know.

A while back I asked out vet about the
sudden pneumonia/summer pneumonia" deal. He says that that's what they call it when they can;t figure out anything else that may have caused it.

dun":3qlue57g said:
sudden pneumonia/summer pneumonia" deal. He says that that's what they call it when they can;t figure out anything else that may have caused it.

Probably the case. What's odd is that it responds quite well if treated like pneumonia.

angus9259":1ob9l0d4 said:
dun":1ob9l0d4 said:

Probably the case. What's odd is that it responds quite well if treated like pneumonia.
But you have to hit it early and hard. I think a lot of times people don;t notice the symptoms until it's too late

Yup. I've got one dead and one alive to prove your point. Based on my two data points, I think the difference between "early" and "too late" may be as little as 12 hours.

On the lines of colostrum...
it takes about three months of good nutrition to build a good quality colostrum (if memory serves). that is if the cow has not been under any previous stress like drought or flooding.
Colostrum also is inhibitied in Passive transfer or reduced in passive transfer if...
- a hard or stressed birth
- inclement weather while calving
- slightly weakened calf due to weather, nutrition, or birthing stress.
might be a good idea to check back on the birthing of these calves and see what was up when they were born and the few months leading up to it.
On another note, cows coming out of a year of hardships like drought and flooding from the previous year might still be trying to play catch up on the nutrition and health. It takes time for cows to recover from these weather related stresses, even in they are in good body score.
We have seen where it takes cows near a year and a half to recover fully from these stresses...unless they are open at some point. The reason I say a year and a half is because they are always working. They are either getting ready for breeding while raising a calf, bred and raising a calf at foot, or bred and just gone through weaning. So when they have to regain their "internal balance" they are not just doing it for themselves, but also for the calf inside and or at foot.

Here is another thought on these summer pnemonias...
...could be a secondary infection that is showing up during times of weather stress brought on by either being a PI calf are infected with BVD.
Can you trace back a few years and see if the same cows or line of cows are producing these sick calves?
You might be on a vaccination program, but when vaccines are left in the sun or mixed to early or got to warm, the vaccines can become inert.

Just some random thoughts

I was told that vacinating the dry cows for pneumonia should help.

and I have wondered if shade would help reduce the heat stress.

Your thoughts?

I was concerned about shade. I have ample shade in each pasture, but my calves seem to be shade challenged because they seem to refuse it. Both calves I found sick were in the sun. In fact, I initially suspected heat stress / dehydration but they weren't showing any telling signs of dehydration and "rehydration" seemed of no value.

angus9259":23rppm7d said:
Yup. I've got one dead and one alive to prove your point. Based on my two data points, I think the difference between "early" and "too late" may be as little as 12 hours.

Our vet says its a 50/50 shot IF you catch it within the first 12 hours... and then he has me hit it with Draxin!

...thus a new vaccine in the program... TSV-2 intranasal is now given at birth with the ear tag, weighing, Bo-Se, and Betadine for the navel

Davis... got a question... how are you hitting them with TSV-2 at birth? I just used it on my calf crop but its a mixed vaccine... so how are you keeping it from calf to calf? Do they sell it in single doses and I missed that? I was disappointed that I had mixed mine and then had an extra calf born a few days later... Thanks...

Yes -- we buy it in the 25 doses x 1 each so it's mixed individually for each birth and given intranasally

After I posted my reply I did go to the farm catalog and I saw where you can get the 25xsingle doses....
So, here's another question...if I'm giving Calf Guard at birth (orally) can I give the TSV-2 intranasally at the same time without the two interfering? Does anyone else do this?
I'm trying to put the best regimine together to keep everyone here as disease-free as possible.. we had been giving TSV-2 at weaning along with other vacc's.

Wisteria Farms":aetlt0or said:
After I posted my reply I did go to the farm catalog and I saw where you can get the 25xsingle doses....
So, here's another question...if I'm giving Calf Guard at birth (orally) can I give the TSV-2 intranasally at the same time without the two interfering? Does anyone else do this?
I'm trying to put the best regimine together to keep everyone here as disease-free as possible.. we had been giving TSV-2 at weaning along with other vacc's.

I've decided against it. Thinking about vaccinated the cows with the calf guard giving me more flexibility with the TSV 2. My vet thinks it's probably still more effective to give it to the calves though.

Latest posts