Neighbor's mature cattle dying - pneumonia type

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Was talking to a distant neighbor who said he had lost two cows and a bull with some type of breathing problems Seem to have a lot of muscus drainage and yey noses aren't dry like they are feverish. Guy next to him has had some problems but blood work hasn't shown anything,yet.

Any ideas?

Was talking to a distant neighbor who said he had lost two cows and a bull with some type of breathing problems Seem to have a lot of muscus drainage and yey noses aren't dry like they are feverish. Guy next to him has had some problems but blood work hasn't shown anything,yet.

Any of the cows from a sale recently. Seeing several sick cows in this area from the traders.

No "new" cattle in either herd that I know of.
Some of the cattle were fine one day and almost gone the next.
Not close to me but I'm just trying to help them sort it out. I feel for them.

Last edited:
COVID - better make sure the rest of the herd wears their masks!

kidding - sounds like BRD as others have suggested. Does the neighbor vaccinate for it? I'd call the vet - that bill would cost less than losing another cow.

Vet treated several with Heavy Draxxin shots, and then excede in ear?, and put the group on monensin... to kill the bacterial that causes something to change in their gut or something.... I forget what all, but just know that it was awful....Happened right after we switched sections in rotational grazing.... Never was declared "official cause of death"

Fog fever refers to cattle refeeding syndrome which is clinically named acute bovine pulmonary emphysema and edema(ABPEE) and bovine atypical interstitial pneumonia.[1][2] This veterinary disease in adult cattle follows an abrupt move from feedlot (dried feed indoors) to 'foggage pasture' (fast growing, lush pasture, with high protein levels). Clinical signs begin within 1 to 14 days and death may follow within 2 to 4 days. The condition can affect up to 50% of the herd, and around 30% of affected cattle may die as a result. This metabolic nutritional-respiratory disturbance has also been reported in other ruminants (red deer)[3] and on a wide variety of grasses, alfalfa, rape, kale, and turnip tops.

Respiratory Syncitial Virus (BRSV) causes exact clinical signs and lung lesions as ABPE and can kill an adult cow in a matter of minutes once they show signs. Probably be best to have a vet do necropsy, to determine difference.

Latest posts