Sulfer Salt Blocks?

Help Support CattleToday:

rwtherefords

Reaction score
I've heard it stated here before that the red mineral blocks are mostly dyed salt. What about the sulfer salt blocks? How many of you use them?

One older gent here claimes that they prevent horseflys from bothering the cows. I'vebeen in his parlor at milking time and there are just as many horseflys on his as anyone elses during the fly season

dun

I was wondering if it were something like that. :D :D :D

I keep good minerals available all the time and a salt block. I was just wondering if I had been missing something.

rwtherefords":2rr0dc93 said:

I keep good minerals available all the time and a salt block. I was just wondering if I had been missing something.

Dropping the salt block will increase intake of minerals to proper levels.

MikeC":aws820b6 said:
rwtherefords":aws820b6 said:

But it can be dropped, only if there is adequate salt in the minerals. The minerals we use have an insignificant amount of salt, cows eat the minerals just fine and also work over the salt block

dun

dun":1bmmncmc said:
MikeC":1bmmncmc said:
rwtherefords":1bmmncmc said:

But it can be dropped, only if there is adequate salt in the minerals. The minerals we use have an insignificant amount of salt, cows eat the minerals just fine and also work over the salt block

dun

You are correct dun. But why buy both salt AND minerals when you can get both in one package, along with the correct mixture.

MikeC":1zg603ks said:
dun":1zg603ks said:
MikeC":1zg603ks said:
rwtherefords":1zg603ks said:

dun

You are correct dun. But why buy both salt AND minerals when you can get both in one package, along with the correct mixture.

Because they eat minerals as they need them, and they need salt all the time.

What about my original question????

What's the purpose of a Sulfer salt block. Plain salt block costs $3.89, red mineral/salt block $4.89, and sulfer salt block $5.89. So, do you pay one dollar more for salt dyed red and two dollars more for salt dyed yellow, or is there a real purpose for a sulfer salt block?

North Carolina State University;

Traditionally producers have used trace mineralized salt (red salt), "sulfur blocks" (yellow salt), or white salt, but they are not to be recommended in any situation because they contain insufficient copper and have no selenium. The copper in these products is also from copper oxide which has low availability; copper sulfate is the supplement of choice. Copper carbonate and tri-basic copper chloride are other inorganic sources with high availability. The white and yellow salt have no trace minerals at all and should never be used.

Sometimes, producers provide both salt and a complete mineral supplement, but this is not recommended because some animals may consume little of the complete supplement.

In my case, I raise several Highland cattle, that do NEED sulfur in the diet, well beyond what is needed by other cattle, I don't actually know why, they just do, or so I read, so I do keep out sulfer blocks for them...I have yet to see sulfur salt come in a loose formula, if I did I would buy it that way, as I think salt blocks are best suited around her for keeping deer around , if thats what you want. We don't want that.

So, at the moment, in the various fields, we keep in different home made plastic drums the following..............a good grade of mineral, a drum with loose salt. a drum with dry powdered milk (FREE!) and sulfur blocks. I will in the next month add a few protein blocks to help keep the bulk up on the frames, as feb. seems to be the worst weather month around here.

so, if you come around these farms, you will see lots of different barrels hanging from various trees .....lol :cboy:

All salt blocks, trace mineralized, sulfur, and of course white, are about 95% salt. For practical purposes, they are mainly salt and not a significant source of any other minerals. The sulfur that is in the yellow block may have some benefits, but I believe is detrimental overall because the sulfur serves to tie up copper. Also, the only reason I can see for keeping out salt is if cattle overconsume on the mineral. In most areas, if the mineral has much salt at all (15% or so), it will satisfy dietary requirement. Cows will lick salt just to taste it or out of boredom, usually. My .02

rk

rk":1s5tjdjb said:
All salt blocks, trace mineralized, sulfur, and of course white, are about 95% salt. For practical purposes, they are mainly salt and not a significant source of any other minerals. The sulfur that is in the yellow block may have some benefits, but I believe is detrimental overall because the sulfur serves to tie up copper. Also, the only reason I can see for keeping out salt is if cattle overconsume on the mineral. In most areas, if the mineral has much salt at all (15% or so), it will satisfy dietary requirement. Cows will lick salt just to taste it or out of boredom, usually. My .02

rk
I have never seen a cow lick salt simply to taste it or out of boredom. Cows need quite a bit of salt and they will seek it out. The mineral I use has 12% salt in it and they will still go through the salt blocks like they are going out of style.

rk":3sl07mk2 said:
Also, the only reason I can see for keeping out salt is if cattle overconsume on the mineral. In most areas, if the mineral has much salt at all (15% or so), it will satisfy dietary requirement. Cows will lick salt just to taste it or out of boredom, usually. My .02

rk

I'm thinking you need to do a little more reading up on cattle. Salt is a necessary element for their health and overall well-being. They don't eat or lick salt or mineral out of boredom - generally speaking.

I do try to read and learn as much as I can. In this case though, given the choice, cattle will eat alot more salt than is required. Check the NRC.

The NRC gives the theoretical requirements. More than likely it isn't going to match the real world conditions. I again emphasize the fact that cattle will seek out salt. The lick it if they need it. Not to mention a little extra salt won't hurt them as long as they have enough water available.

Novaman,

You're right. The NRC lists minimum requirements, but it is researched info, not theoretical. All I am saying is that a cow's requirement is for 9-11 grams of sodium, depending on stage of production. She'll get a small amount from most types of forage, and if she also consumes about 3 ounces of a mineral containing 15-16% salt, her intake will surpass her sodium requirement. My preference is to have a mineral with about this much salt and no other source of salt. This way, you can help insure intake of other important traces, rather than just salt.

I guess this goes back to that old question of "How did cattle survive before humans came into their lives?" Cattle will eat what they require - bottom line - and usually no more than they require. I've seen calves without access to mineral eating dirt to get what they required - and they were darned picky about what dirt they were eating. Who are we to determine how much salt they need? Our cows have free access to mineral and salt and they eat what they need, always have.

I agree with msscamp. We keep plenty of mineral blocks out and the cattle can consume of them freely. I also keep a sulphur block out as my Grandfather swore by them, and had very few problems with his herd.

Latest posts