salt block and loose mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

It's not totally necessary as wind and rain is a complete mineral and salt I believe I don't use it I use a custom mix but it wouldn't hurt any thing. Blocks are handy but the white blocks about the only one of any good.

Personally I believe the cows are better off without the salt, just the mineral.

rjbovine":cj4mv9fa said:
Shouid I have a white salt block out with purina wind and rain mineral ? thank you rj
I believe the W&R mineral already has about 14% salt so I wouldn't put anything out. I would make sure I got the Purina W&R "Availa-4" with the chelated minerals.

The wind and rain mineral I use is 23% salt already. I have never added salt because I think it would limit how much mineral they consume. My cattle consume the suggested rate on average anyway. Consumption goes up in the summer and winter and is the lowest in the spring. I just figure it has to do with the quality of the grass at the time.

I've always been told and read that if you are feeding a well balanced and made mineral then there is no need for the salt blocks. I feed Purina W&R 7.5 complete and am very satisfied.

I use both. Usually several block are out. If the mineral runs dry they still have salt until I refill the mineral tubs.

Something that needs to be remembered is cattle need salt,the problem with salt mixed with minerals is that cattle will only consume the minerals they need and back off. The problem comes when the cattle have tanked up on minerals they may not come back to the feeder thus not getting salt,so if you throw out a few plain salt blocks the cattle still have a option to get salt. You can't expect cattle to eat the "desired" amount some that are lower on minerals will hammer on the tubs till there body says stop,some cattle who's body is okay on minerals will take a mouthful here and there......plus mixed minerals are not cheap so if you got a area of your pasture you want the cattle in but they don't frequent put your white blocks there it will be a better use of your grass grazing between the minerals salt an water......

Got no use for a block of any color. Put out a bag of loose mineral. Two or three licks and she's off to graze or rest. No standing for an hour trying to get her daily needs.

Latest posts