Suggestions on what kind of bull I should use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Saler. i have never had to pull a saler sired calf from a heifer or cow and u get a great solid colored calf that will grow as well or better than any other.

piedmontese":jwfs241v said:
Saler. i have never had to pull a saler sired calf from a heifer or cow and u get a great solid colored calf that will grow as well or better than any other.
IF you can find a saler bull for sale nearby and that they are not crazy. personally I would suggested a low birth weight Black Angus bull, they are easier to find.

The rep about salers being crazy is just some old tired bullsheet!! I have not experienced this a bitt

piedmontese":b577tnfp said:
The rep about salers being crazy is just some old tired bullsheet!! I have not experienced this a bitt
I have a few that I'd like for you to meet. I'm sure there are sane salers out there... I'm also sure that mine are not related to them.

The craziest cow I ever had was angus. She stayed 3 months and that was just cause it took us that long to get her caught and loaded. Seriously considering blasting her more than a few times.

piedmontese":2ig7j23j said:
The craziest cow I ever had was angus. She stayed 3 months and that was just cause it took us that long to get her caught and loaded. Seriously considering blasting her more than a few times.
And the craziest cow I ever dealt was a Holstein. But you can't denied the fact that the salers cattle are more nutty than other breeds and I has yet dealt with a calm salers cow. My late grandfather used to have a salers cow we called her "Crabby". She is the cow that my grandfather said that we do not turn our backs on her. Tried to kill me few times and forced me climbing the trees.

Don't breed the hybred vigor out of them. Find a SimAngus bull and keep them what they are or get a Hereford bull............

Saler bull be waste of your time. Found a breeder north of me and boy did he talk the talk. Bought him over the phone. Had him delivered at our annual semen check and let me tell you he was a dang good calf. Passed semen check flying colors so I handed over my check to breeder and he left. Put him in pen till we were done for day. I had collected a DNA sample and sent it in. Came back homo black/homo polled. Man was I happy. Turned him out when we got home with 75 dry milk cows/bred heifers and left him alone for 2 weeks. Went to sort cows and holy smokes did stuff not go good. He went nuts. Got him penned up, broke gate, broke 6 barb new fence, put in freestall barn got out ran around farm and boss has grandkids I said this ain't going to fly buddy. Called breeder as I was running him on 4wheeler to get him anywhere but here. He said oh give him time. I put him in a lean-to off our old milk barn with nothing but an alley and headgate is only way he could get out 8' concrete and sliding dorr and he managed to get half way thru head gate trying to get out so then he got a halter on him and tied so I could get rid of him and about 6 hours later he was so worked up he died. Breeder did nothing for me. I even asked to buy a calf in the fall but wouldn't do that. Lesson is always look in person or someone you trust and I wish I would have loaded him back up and dropped that bull in his yard with his grandkids.

Till-Hill":993ry7hj said:
Don't breed the hybred vigor out of them. Find a SimAngus bull and keep them what they are or get a Hereford bull............

Saler bull be waste of your time. Found a breeder north of me and boy did he talk the talk. Bought him over the phone. Had him delivered at our annual semen check and let me tell you he was a dang good calf. Passed semen check flying colors so I handed over my check to breeder and he left. Put him in pen till we were done for day. I had collected a DNA sample and sent it in. Came back homo black/homo polled. Man was I happy. Turned him out when we got home with 75 dry milk cows/bred heifers and left him alone for 2 weeks. Went to sort cows and holy smokes did stuff not go good. He went nuts. Got him penned up, broke gate, broke 6 barb new fence, put in freestall barn got out ran around farm and boss has grandkids I said this ain't going to fly buddy. Called breeder as I was running him on 4wheeler to get him anywhere but here. He said oh give him time. I put him in a lean-to off our old milk barn with nothing but an alley and headgate is only way he could get out 8' concrete and sliding dorr and he managed to get half way thru head gate trying to get out so then he got a halter on him and tied so I could get rid of him and about 6 hours later he was so worked up he died. Breeder did nothing for me. I even asked to buy a calf in the fall but wouldn't do that. Lesson is always look in person or someone you trust and I wish I would have loaded him back up and dropped that bull in his yard with his grandkids.
That sucks!

As for the breed association culling the bad ones, well I have to wonder about that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it's up to the producers to cull the bad ones, not the breed association.

Latest posts