Suggestions for fixed blade sheepsfoot knife for castration

Help Support CattleToday:

llc2550

Reaction score
We knife cut our calves and husband prefers a fixed blade sheepsfoot knife. I can't seem to find one that will hold an edge. The old bowie knives we have hold their edges and I'm often sent to go grab one of them. Does anyone know a brand/maker of sheepsfoot knife that is good?

Amazon sells a few. Not sure if any are better or worse.
I prefer a Newberry knife. They're easy to sharpen and have replaceable blades. Small calves I use a scalpel with a #12 blade. I can hold the handle in my teeth, freeing both hands.

My favourite blade was the big blade on a Leatherman. Shaped just right and hold an edge pretty fair and a great point. If all you're using it for is castration it stays sharp a long time. But I want a point on my blade to slit the sac, I would never cut the end of the sac off.
I realize that didn't answer the question, forgive my rambling.

Grandpa cut thousands of calves with this knife while I was holding legs as a kid, and I now use it. I agree with Silver - pull the sack down and slit across the bottom inch or so, push the tip of the nut out, slice the membrane on the nut and it pops right out, then pull or scrape the cord. Grandpa used the sheep's foot blade, but I prefer the pointed blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_120836.jpg
    IMG_20240417_120836.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts