Succumbed to the 'Petting' theory!

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
Well, I've fallen victim to the 'petting cows' way of thinking. :eek: :oops: :oops: We've got 18 bottle calves in the corral ranging from about 200 lbs up to maybe 400 lbs - and they are the mangiest, most moth-eaten, sorriest excuse for a calf, bunch I've ever seen - and I'm scratching ears and withers like it's going out of style! :lol: :lol: I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the petting thing, but I'm pretty sure I can fix the mangy, sorry, moth-eaten thing! ;-) I do love a challenge! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you walk up to them and holler, "Hey cuties, what's shakin'?" then you'll know you're a goner.

Alice

MillIronQH":20oj5348 said:
Just remember:
Never name something you're planning to eat. :lol: Z

No names, and there will be no names - except for the pre-existing tag numbers! I would tell you what most of my calves get 'named', simply because it usually fits and for the sake of convenience, but this is a family forum. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alice":26luki6s said:
When you walk up to them and holler, "Hey cuties, what's shakin'?" then you'll know you're a goner.

Alice

:shock: Whew, I'm glad to know I'm safe!

why can't you name them - is it a law??????

mine all have names - examples of which are car payment, light bill, gas bill, etc. :lol: :help: :lol:

actually we have one I call Bob because she lost most of her tail and another I call Dot because her head is polka dotted
of course, they just look at me when I say their "names" and keep on walkin - haven't tamed one to pet but I'm planning on a new sport cow riding - will be similar to steer riding but with a portable refreshment stand attached

(ewww it appears the cold medicine is kicking in and I'm getting screwy - better go do some work so that it can wear off ) :roll:

msscamp":1msjieai said:
Well, I've fallen victim to the 'petting cows' way of thinking. :eek: :oops: :oops: We've got 18 bottle calves in the corral ranging from about 200 lbs up to maybe 400 lbs - and they are the mangiest, most moth-eaten, sorriest excuse for a calf, bunch I've ever seen - and I'm scratching ears and withers like it's going out of style! :lol: :lol: I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the petting thing, but I'm pretty sure I can fix the mangy, sorry, moth-eaten thing! ;-) I do love a challenge! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You might find a good pyschologist on line. You might find some good psychos right here :lol:

Naming one "T-Bone" seems very fitting to me. I always have a Rib Eye or T-Bone on place. That is generally the next one going into my freezer.

i think its ok to pet them as long as you dont talk about it or let anybody see you or get hurt or..

mdmdogs3":2z07p6ai said:
why can't you name them - is it a law??????

mine all have names - examples of which are car payment, light bill, gas bill, etc. :lol: :help: :lol:

actually we have one I call Bob because she lost most of her tail and another I call Dot because her head is polka dotted
of course, they just look at me when I say their "names" and keep on walkin - haven't tamed one to pet but I'm planning on a new sport cow riding - will be similar to steer riding but with a portable refreshment stand attached

(ewww it appears the cold medicine is kicking in and I'm getting screwy - better go do some work so that it can wear off ) :roll:

I beg to differ. July knows his name and we are going to eat him. He's starting to look reall good, too!

backhoeboogie":crjnscy0 said:
msscamp":crjnscy0 said:

You might find a good pyschologist on line. You might find some good psychos right here :lol:

Naming one "T-Bone" seems very fitting to me. I always have a Rib Eye or T-Bone on place. That is generally the next one going into my freezer.

Excellent point(s)! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Hmmmmmm, let's see.......I could name one T-Bone, another one Rib-Eye, a 3rd one Sirloin Tip, a 4th one Filet Mignon, 5th one Prime Rib, and so on and so forth. I like it! :D

msscamp":24xngwzv said:
backhoeboogie":24xngwzv said:
msscamp":24xngwzv said:

Excellent point(s)! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Hmmmmmm, let's see.......I could name one T-Bone, another one Rib-Eye, a 3rd one Sirloin Tip, a 4th one Filet Mignon, 5th one Prime Rib, and so on and so forth. I like it! :D

be careful of the one called 'MINCE MEAT' he maybe a little limp....OK my love :p

msscamp":3h4p9nym said:

Msscamp, no doubt you can take care of the 18 with no problems. My main concern is that you are "scratching your withers". Are you going to start measuring your height in "hands" and have the farrier handle your feet??? ;-)

MsScamp....I'd worry about imprinting. Eighteen calves that think that you are their mother could become a problem.
We have some that get jealous of the dogs when they are receiving attention...not that we massage cows and give pedicures and such; but scratching a ear every so often can be a great stress reliever...other areas can calm a jittery cow quickly.
You just rub and scratch away...don't forget to wash your hands before you scratch yourself...ha,ha.
just my two bits worth...Dave Mc

This was a good topic as I am reading them i am sitting here at home laughing at loud, I do the same thing, petting the calves, heck i have one that really considers me his mom, just because he has been sick since day one of course he has a name which is little man (thats because he is sick) and he is destined for the freezer because my daughter cannot take him to the fair, i think everyone might pet a calf every now and then I dont see the harm I just have to keep reminding myself, meat meat meat sometimes its a little sad but they taste real good! thanks for the laughs :lol:

cypressfarms":1p8cdmrj said:
msscamp":1p8cdmrj said:

Msscamp, no doubt you can take care of the 18 with no problems. My main concern is that you are "scratching your withers". Are you going to start measuring your height in "hands" and have the farrier handle your feet??? ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Hmmmmm, might have to give that some thought - it might be cheaper!

Susie David":3gyp24mo said:
MsScamp....I'd worry about imprinting. Eighteen calves that think that you are their mother could become a problem.
We have some that get jealous of the dogs when they are receiving attention...not that we massage cows and give pedicures and such; but scratching a ear every so often can be a great stress reliever...other areas can calm a jittery cow quickly.
You just rub and scratch away...don't forget to wash your hands before you scratch yourself...ha,ha.

:lol2: :lol2: Well, the phase has ended as quickly as it began - nearly got trampled today during feeding, and it was only day 2 of feeding grain! These little guys are very serious about their grain, obviously, so I'm trading in petting for a stout stick until they learn some manners. :shock:

msscamp":3swghvgr said:
Susie David":3swghvgr said:

:lol2: :lol2: Well, the phase has ended as quickly as it began - nearly got trampled today during feeding, and it was only day 2 of feeding grain! These little guys are very serious about their grain, obviously, so I'm trading in petting for a stout stick until they learn some manners. :shock:

Thank goodness they are serious about their grain...

However, I have decided if I can't have their trough close enough to the fence to just pour it over, my husband gets to do the honors. Danged if I'm gonna be stepped on, butted, and have the honk beat outta me. (I never was good with a stick...my aim stinks...get tired of swatting air...astigmatism, you understand :p)

Alice

Alice":35ihd8i1 said:
msscamp":35ihd8i1 said:
Susie David":35ihd8i1 said:

However, I have decided if I can't have their trough close enough to the fence to just pour it over, my husband gets to do the honors. Danged if I'm gonna be stepped on, butted, and have the honk beat outta me. (I never was good with a stick...my aim stinks...get tired of swatting air...astigmatism, you understand :p)

Alice

I'm glad they know what it is and are eating good, but they don't need to be running over me! My aim is pretty good - I nailed one of them with a backwards, blind kick tonight. There appears to be one main abuser of the feeder, and she's fixin to get a major attitude adjustment! ;-) A little respect is a good thing.

msscamp":2celo0xw said:
Alice":2celo0xw said:
msscamp":2celo0xw said:
Susie David":2celo0xw said:

Alice

I'm glad they know what it is and are eating good, but they don't need to be running over me! My aim is pretty good - I nailed one of them with a backwards, blind kick tonight. There appears to be one main abuser of the feeder, and she's fixin to get a major attitude adjustment! ;-) A little respect is a good thing.

Brats are not acceptable. You go girl!

Alice

Latest posts