STUPID MUD

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
This mud is really starting to get on my nerves. Friday, I almost rolled a tractor over. I was going along fine, and started down into some better ground (it was still wet, but not as bad) and one side started sinking on me. Got off, looked at the tractor and thought I could go a little further, so I got back on. Started moving and the tractor kept sinking on that side. Went and winched it out, which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
Then, yesterday, I went to put some hay out, and noticed a cow off by herself and thought she was either close to calving or calved during the night, so I went down to check on her. She calved in the mud, and I guess it got the best of the calf. What a way to start the calving season. Right now, I wish it would either get cold so the ground freezes, or we get a week or so off from this snow and rain with some sun so we can get out in the fields. This is getting old.
*I don't mind the rain. I've been told and believe that no matter what, you are always 2 weeks away from a drought, but this is getting a little extreme right now.

You're calving in the mud, we got another 6" snow yesterday, on top of 4" the other day. I've been cussing the snow, nearly every calf has been born in the calving barn and I can't clean it out, just put more straw down, and the gates will hardly open. I'm on the downhill side of calves, less than 30 left, and am actually glad I'll be mostly done before the mud gets here. I've found it really hard to guess what the weather will be like 9 months ahead. Don't know what is worse to calve in, mud or snow. Makes me want to take another look at fall calving LOL gs

Raining cats and dogs right now here mixed with thunder and lightning. We've gotten about 6 months worth of rain since Christmas.

your fun is just starting with all the mudd.i truelly hope you dont have meny loses.weve been dealing with this mess for 2 months.an its no fun to lose cows or calves.an we done both.im hoping that we are about over the hump on the mudd.

Latest posts