Stud Breeding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
This is just a random question but we own a merino stud we breed stud ewe's to stud ram's but we also pick commercial ewe's to go into the stud..
My question is, if i was to get some stud hereford cows am i able to breed them to a hereford bull that wasn't bought from a stud but most likely from a stud bloodline and am i able to register the calves??

pdfangus":2vgkeozr said:
the difference in the terminology is preventing me from knowing what you are asking....

Sorry, went on about.
Am i able to breed a bull that is most likely not from a stud, to stud cows and register them??

charlie01":ugvk0eti said:
pdfangus":ugvk0eti said:
the difference in the terminology is preventing me from knowing what you are asking....

Sorry, went on about.
Am i able to breed a bull that is most likely not from a stud, to stud cows and register them??
It would depend on the registry in Australia. In the US as long as they're registered they offpsring can be registered.

charlie01":2fqiim76 said:
This is just a random question but we own a merino stud we breed stud ewe's to stud ram's but we also pick commercial ewe's to go into the stud..
My question is, if i was to get some stud hereford cows am i able to breed them to a hereford bull that wasn't bought from a stud but most likely from a stud bloodline and am i able to register the calves??

If I understand you correctly, no you can't. Both parents need to be registered or atleast be able to be traced back to herdbook volume 13 of 1936 and then registered before any offspring can be registered, the latter would need to be approved by the association.

charlie I would suggest you join a youth group or even a couple. I know of people who regularly participate in angus and shorthorn youth shows and events.
Now about the breeding, if you had a Hereford bull and you wanted to register his calves out of hereford cows you would need to get him registered and that might even mean you need to have him blood tested to show who his father is. Google hereford australia and you will find the answers there.

Loch Valley Fold":2gpscnwq said:
Usually it is by using a registered bull over unregistered cows you breed up to a registered herd over several years

Only when the breed has an open herdbook and in the case of herefords it doesn't

Good point I didn't know that about Hereford herdbook I was just trying to give a basic overview on how to go about breeding up to a registered herd

Charlie,

I breed registered Black Limousin & Lim-Flex cattle here in South Australia and i am happy to answer your question.
Every breed society differs somewhat so you are best of calling the Poll Hereford Society in Armidale. Likely what they will tell you is YES you can register progeny from what they call a base cow in a grading up process. In the Limo game a base cow has a prefix of '0' and her calf will be a grade '1'. It will take several generations before they will qualify as registered PURE (even though they are technically Pure) It is also benificial if the base cow has know parentage.

Now this is working with a BASE cow i'm not sure if the same applies on the Bull side???
Ask the breed society or begin A.Iing

I'll try one last time....

Herefords, internationally, don't have an open herdbook and breeding up to studbook proper therefore isn't possible.

To be eligible for registration both parents need to be traced back to herdbook volume 13 of 1936 on both sides of the pedigree. A single animal that fails that part will make all later generations fail to be registered as well.

How'd ya go Charlie? Did speak with the PH Society in Armidale NSW. My thought is u can register in a grading up process. The other old mate is referring to the US

If this is so...how are there registered black Herefords in the World if both parents need to come from this so called World Hereford Herd book?

AussieLim":5hvezifl said:
If this is so...how are there registered black Herefords in the World if both parents need to come from this so called World Hereford Herd book?
They are a different organisation with their own rules.

AussieLim":1rqqcdvm said:
Mate they aren't registering calves to the Hereford World Association he is asking about registering in Australia.

Maybe you should start talking about something you actually know about?

Knersie,
Does the Hereford World Assoc have authority or power to over rule national Hereford Associations rules?
Not disputing anything--just asking out of my own ignorance on the subject.

greybeard":2s0xmu1m said:
Knersie,
Does the Hereford World Assoc have authority or power to over rule national Hereford Associations rules?
Not disputing anything--just asking out of my own ignorance on the subject.

Yes.

They tried a breeding up scheme here years ago where they actually started with straightbred herefords that was imported before there was was an Association here (I'm talking pre 1917) and although they were straightbred for 80 odd years they are still not accepted even though they have production records and pedigrees going back 50+ years, because they can't be traced back to herdbook volume 13 on both sides of the pedigree. Not even DNA testing can prove conclusively at this time the purity of such animals because the DNA proved to be very much population specific.

Just recently they brought 19 animals and all their descendant back in to Studbook Proper Registered here in SA, but it was a herd that stopped registering the calves about 20 years ago and still have DNA samples of all sires and all the animals could be traced back to Herdbook volume 13. It was a very costly and time consuming affair and it took several years and many meetings with the World Hereford Council to get it approved.

Latest posts