Strip grazing vs MIG or rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
I have been reading about both of these methods of managed grazing to increase the grazing season into the winter. Right now it has been frozen solid for about 2 weeks here and we have been feeding hay now for 3 weeks. If all things go as normal, we will be feeding hay until sometime in April and most likely the middle of May. That 135-150 days is killer. We have a little less cost/hd/day than some that have to buy all their hay, but with the opportunity cost it really is the same...Expensive either way.

I have resolved to get from the 150 days of planned hay feeding to 90 but maybe as few as 60 over the next 3 years. Since we don't know the weather, water, or future I think it might take that long to fully achieve this goal.

Anyways back tot the distinction of strip grazing vs MIG. They are both "managed" grazing, but it seems that one encourages mature plants(strip) that are grazed less frequently and trampled more; while the other encourages immature plants (MIG) that are grazed more frequently or mechanically clipped to prevent the plant from maturing. For an operation that calves in late spring and is carrying dry pregnant cows going into winter, and really won't hit third trimester until February, what system would be most advantageous?

Latest posts