Strange happenings

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
2 years ago we had a cow that had been with the herd her entire life that one day everyone ganged up on. She was overdue, we seperatyed her out and she calved that night.
A few minutes ago I noticed that one cow was just bugging another one constantly. The buggee is 4 days overdue. I seperated them, be interesting to see if she calves tonight

dun

dun":2zq9i1e9 said:
2 years ago we had a cow that had been with the herd her entire life that one day everyone ganged up on. She was overdue, we seperatyed her out and she calved that night.
A few minutes ago I noticed that one cow was just bugging another one constantly. The buggee is 4 days overdue. I seperated them, be interesting to see if she calves tonight

dun

Let us know.

A guy down the road once had a bull that tried to breed his cows when they were in the act of calving.

He would bother those cows to the point of trying to mount them when they were laying down and calving.

Stepped on a calf and killed it once and the guy started taking his bulls out.

I guess you would call him a "Bugger"? ;-)

I saw a similiar phenomena after a heifer calved a couple of years back. Seemed all the others bullied her and where interested in the calf. It got purty rough and I was running toward the fence but she fought them off before I could get there.

As I have seen a few born in my backyard, this was a first for me.

Good luck.

Slipped my mind...of course alot slips my mind these days...anyway thanks for the full moon reminder. We have one due on Monday and she had been getting real lovey lately.
DMc

I wonder if that has something to do with why cows usually go off by themsleves to calve. To keep from getting bugged by the others.

Same thing happened to us this year, except she had already started labor when we saw her getting butted around. We fed the cows (all of them came up besides her) and by the time we fed everything, ~ 30 minutes she had it. I just thought it was an isolated event, maybe not..

We are having the same problem with a bunch of first calf heifers. The older cows are not doing it but the heifers all gang up wanting to lick and look at the new calf until the new mother has her hands full keeping them away. Have never noticed this behavior before.

Green Creek":36kxlsz5 said:
We are having the same problem with a bunch of first calf heifers. The older cows are not doing it but the heifers all gang up wanting to lick and look at the new calf until the new mother has her hands full keeping them away. Have never noticed this behavior before.

After a calf is born all of ours gather around and sniff and lick the calf. There are a couple of them that help the one that has just calved eat the afterbirth. After a few minutes of that they drift away.

dun

dun":38k597cn said:
After a calf is born all of ours gather around and sniff and lick the calf. There are a couple of them that help the one that has just calved eat the afterbirth. After a few minutes of that they drift away.

dun

Mine do the same.

Very helpful when you know that one should have hit the ground, I look for the group and voi-la, there's the new calf, ready for tagging, weighing etc.

Katherine

Aside from the normal inquisitive nature that all cows exhibit, this bunch of new heifers is much more excitable and unpredictable. They have been too rough and it gets dangerous for the calf. One calf got trampled before it could get up, a first for us.

anybody else's calves unusually agressive this year? When I go home on weekends I tag the calves from the week and this weekend there were 4 calves that didn't get tagged because of cows either taking me or the 4-wheeler. I ended up trying until the cows took them back into the maternity ward (group of cedars) to where I had to no chance of getting the calves. I don't know if the coyotes are bugging them enough that they are extra sensitive but something has got into the this year.

weather...moon phases. notice em and sometimes youll see things . sometimes its just coincidence and sometimes not

Latest posts