Strange one today

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
We had a calf born last night that had something on its mouth. I thought it was afterbirth so I went to clean it off and it was bleeding. Figured this few hour old calf had maybe stumbled into the fence or something similar and cut its mouth open. Called the vet up and he determined that it was a tumor. It was about the size of a golf ball in total size and was both on the outside and the inside of the lower lip. He sedated it and removed it. He told us he had never seen anything like it in a newborn. The tumor took some teeth with it and I am not sure if the teeth had anything to do with it or not. Really hoping he can nurse after the soreness goes away, which may be a while. Has anyone ever had anything like this before? I have heard of tumors in calves, but not as soon as they come out of the womb!

Was the tumour sent away for histopath? That will give you the answer. Sounds like some embryonic malformation involving the teeth/tooth????????

Ken

wbvs58":2jl5pft9 said:
Was the tumour sent away for histopath? That will give you the answer. Sounds like some embryonic malformation involving the teeth/tooth????????

Ken
On its way to Ohio now. I believe that you are right when you say it has something to do with the teeth.

We got a cleft palate calf 2 days ago. Luckily, he can suck and swallow so maybe he'll make beef someday.

In honour of a grade school chum I had, I named him Greg.

Went to check the calf this morning. Only 10 days post surgery and the tumor has grown back almost completely. The calf is still nursing and eating hay now, seems healthy. But if this continues to grow it will be a big problem. Vet says it may be cancerous as quick as it grew back. I hate to euthanize him as healthy as he seems. Just wondering what some of you guys might do if you were in this situation? I hate to euthanize, but cannot put another $200 some dollars into him again just to have it probably grow back. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

MRRherefords":9yl6yqxk said:
Went to check the calf this morning. Only 10 days post surgery and the tumor has grown back almost completely. The calf is still nursing and eating hay now, seems healthy. But if this continues to grow it will be a big problem. Vet says it may be cancerous as quick as it grew back. I hate to euthanize him as healthy as he seems. Just wondering what some of you guys might do if you were in this situation? I hate to euthanize, but cannot put another $200 some dollars into him again just to have it probably grow back. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Have the biopsy reports come back yet? Should tell if its CA or not. If confirmed CA, i would euthanize. If not, may give it some time to see how much of a problem it will cause with calfs growth.

bball":rl5r6z7j said:
MRRherefords":rl5r6z7j said:

Have the biopsy reports come back yet? Should tell if its CA or not. If confirmed CA, i would euthanize. If not, may give it some time to see how much of a problem it will cause with calfs growth.
Biopsy reports have not come back yet. Thanks for your thoughts.

Make him veal, instead of just euthanizing him. Keep him going until the meds clear his system. At least he does not go to waste that way. Sorry to hear about it, very sad indeed.

I would guess cancer too. Had a lab with a hard cancerous growth on her hip that we removed late in her life. It grew back within a few weeks and we ended up having to put her down.

Latest posts