Strange behaviour.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
Normally when I drive up, all of my cows come running. I've been using range cubes as a supplement and they are always happy to see me. Yesterday, one of my cows just stayed off
and never came in to eat. She has her first calf and I will be weaning it this week. She has also been bred. Looks like she's maybe got a touch of diarrhea. Normally she is one of the leaders. Any ideas? Thanks! Bob

she's hiding something or she's sick
the only two things I can think of that would keep a cow away from the feed.
Did you walk down/over/up to her for a closer look at her and her calf?

I looked her over. Looked fine other than the loose bowel evidenced by fecal matter across her rump. Calf is fine. Ready to be weaned.

Her runs are likely from the flush of new fall growth in the pasture. Does her butt look like ollie's old "used grass for sale" avatar? Green as wide as the tail will swing? Could be she's just full. She's moving alright? not stove up in a leg or anything?

I was thinking she might just be full too. I put out 100 lbs of range cubes the day before. She's pretty much the boss, so I'm sure she got her fair share. Her rear is pretty much the way you described. Just a loose bowel movement. She seems to be fine otherwise. Did a very minimal amount of grazing while I was watching. When I went over there, she moved with no problem. I guess I'm just overly nervous since I have very little experience. Bob

bobrammer":2bmpzask said:
I was thinking she might just be full too. I put out 100 lbs of range cubes the day before.

I would say she is full. I believe you said you had 7 head in another post. If you put out 100 lbs cubes the day before, that would give them 14 lbs apiece. :eek: I'd say they all should be plenty full.

If it were me, I'd only put out about a 1/4 bag of cubes each time I called them up, that's about 1-2 lbs apiece.

I'm sure she's full with that much feed but thats never stopped any of mine from coming up, I'd still keep an eye on her.

If she's the "herd" cow and never misses a meal, and you put out 100 lbs. of range cubes, I'm guessing she got more than her fair share, and is probably "off" her feed because of that.

The previous poster is right.. that's more than enough for 7 head! 1/2 a bag would be plenty. Depending on the protein amount in the cubes, usually 3 -4 lbs per head is adequate.

Keep an eye on her regardless.

Latest posts