storm shelters

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":39j7ntcb said:
Anyone have one installed?
I have dug the holes for alot of them but they weren't the premade ones they were poured in place with forms
How much does a prefab one cost
I did install one for a guy that was a sewer man hole actually 2 of them he cut a hole in the side of both of them and installed a 48" pipe between them so he had 2 rooms worked pretty well
He bought the man holes from a local company that makes them because they wouldn't pass the vaccum test when they were installed and had to be taken back out

How much would it cost to pour the walls yourself I wonder. The pre-fab ones run about $3100-$3400, I found one that Meeks sells $3400 for everything, including digging the hole. Really thinkng on getting one, as tornadoes scare me to death anymore-

Ours is the old root cellar for the old homeplace. All concrete but it sweats and leaks like a seive.

I don't know how it would work for tornadoes, but a 40 foot storage container with grass growing over 3 sides works good for hurricanes.

ALACOWMAN":1xp1o8zb said:
dun":1xp1o8zb said:
Ours is the old root cellar for the old homeplace. All concrete but it sweats and leaks like a seive.
ive seen a old school bus buried up to the back door, in a ditch bank
I saw a picture of a dozer buried half way but I don;t think pinz was trying to make a storm shelter

I've been conned in to burying a few of the store bought versions.

The best one I saw was a sea-land container buried in a slope. It was only a 20 footer. There is enough slope/hill to keep it from floating out. It is also anchored with cable. The open end is slightly recessed and slightly below ground level with a concrete pad and drain hub. The drain line continues on down the slope.

When you consider the paint and such, a sea-land should last a life time easily.

I seen one out in the panhandle of Oklahoma that they buried an old fuel tank on its side and welded in a heavy steel door and was using it as a storm shelter looks like it would work really well
the guy got the idea from a ranch that used them as bunkhouses for Bird hunters
they had a stove, electricity and all in theirs tho

We had a 2 piece pre-cast concrete one installed 2 years ago. Sealed pieces together with high tech glue & metal straps. Complete with dampered shock absorber door, and 2 vents.

Dug hole, installed, back-filled, finish graded. Total time 3.5 hrs from arrival, including unloading & re-loading stuff. Cost $3,200. 6x8 ft x 6 ft high inside. Very nice unit!

GMN":3hctaca5 said:
whats a sea land container?

Looks like the box of a tractor trailer. You see a lot of semi's hauling them on a flat bed trailer. Also a lot of trains in the west haul them to and from the ports. When arriving or departing they are moved from the ship or the truck with a crane.

GMN":45ngn4eh said:
How much would it cost to pour the walls yourself I wonder. The pre-fab ones run about $3100-$3400, I found one that Meeks sells $3400 for everything, including digging the hole. Really thinkng on getting one, as tornadoes scare me to death anymore-

There are a lot of different ways to build a safe room. If you have a basement you could build one in the corner of your basement. You do not have to use concrete. I have seen designs that use multi-layers of plywood with solid bricks stacked in between the layers of plywood. Check Fema website for safe room designs. If you build one yourself you need to follow the design to the letter. If you want one outside, it would probably be cheaper to go with one of the prefabricated shelters.
Bear

My aunt and uncle had one built when they lived in a house without a basement, near Hermitage. Called it their "hidey hole". It was a heavy duty concrete box, about 12 X 12 with stairs going down one side. It had a steel door, one small window near the top, and some ventilation. The top of it was visible when it was done, and they didn't like the looks of that, so they built a little "granny Clampett" cabin type building on top of it with a porch across the front and it was cute. But by the time they got done, their tornado hidey hole probably cost them $20k.

MO_cows":1h03quga said:
My aunt and uncle had one built when they lived in a house without a basement, near Hermitage. Called it their "hidey hole". It was a heavy duty concrete box, about 12 X 12 with stairs going down one side. It had a steel door, one small window near the top, and some ventilation. The top of it was visible when it was done, and they didn't like the looks of that, so they built a little "granny Clampett" cabin type building on top of it with a porch across the front and it was cute. But by the time they got done, their tornado hidey hole probably cost them $20k.
We call ours our "Fraidy hole"

I am am more afraid of most of the cellers I've seen than I am of tornadoes. I've never been in a tornado, though. I'm sure I'd change my mind real fast. Storm shelters I have seen are standing in water mostly. We keep talking about getting one, though.

Lammie":2g6gl5fw said:
I am am more afraid of most of the cellers I've seen than I am of tornadoes. I've never been in a tornado, though. I'm sure I'd change my mind real fast. Storm shelters I have seen are standing in water mostly. We keep talking about getting one, though.
and idea homes for brown recluse and black widows

A lot depends on quality of construction, soil type, and location of building site... Texas Tech University in Lubbock has good information on "approved" structures.

Check inside out at least once a week and spray (if needed) or use flyswatter to kill any pests. Yes, they will get bugs. You just need to routinely check them out and take corrective action as needed.

Lammie":2s8vlt78 said:
If you hear one a'coming and you aint skart :shock: then you are unconcious, very drunk, or a better man than I am.

Problem with storm shelters is you have to be home and have enough time to get in it.

Latest posts