Stock Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

A 48' x 102" will haul as many cattle as a 50' x 96", and they will still have room to move around in the 48'.

TexasBred":3ntc08mn said:
Angus as I said, we don't ahve the hills and hollers down here so the 3/4 works well. YOu'd be amazed how many half tons you see pulling 24 ft trailers. Not to mention hauling 22 round bales on a flatbed. It has no trouble. But I ain't dropping off no mountain either. I'm not gonna buy a one ton just to pull a trailer once a week and I sure ain't gonna drive a one ton as my day to day truck.
why not??? seems like everybody that lives in town does :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":25w3upxq said:
TexasBred":25w3upxq said:
Angus as I said, we don't ahve the hills and hollers down here so the 3/4 works well. YOu'd be amazed how many half tons you see pulling 24 ft trailers. Not to mention hauling 22 round bales on a flatbed. It has no trouble. But I ain't dropping off no mountain either. I'm not gonna buy a one ton just to pull a trailer once a week and I sure ain't gonna drive a one ton as my day to day truck.
And a lift kit and 4WD

Angus Cowman":1ywyt8fq said:
TexasBred":1ywyt8fq said:
Oh yeah...4x4 no less.

When I am pulling a trailer I make myself pretend there is a school bus coming across my path at the worst possible intersection....and how would I feel.

Pulling a heavy trailer with no lights or working brakes with a too-small truck with no lights or insufficient brakes is like playing Russian roulette. You are likely to kill or seriously hurt yourself or someone else. It is in the same class as driving drunk. jmho.

Jim

My question is why does it seem like everytime your pulling a load of hay or cows down the FM some little blue haired old lady that can barely see over the steering wheel will pull out in front of you.

Caustic Burno":36iluzqx said:
MadRanchTX":36iluzqx said:
I will most likely buy used. What is the standard width vs. ?
Also what about floor material, steel (seems like this would be a problem), wood, other. What is best.

Mine is treated lumber with cattle panel stapled to the floor and it's pushing 40 years old. The trick is to wash them out after use, then I spray it down with diesel. Manure and urine is corrosive and will eat up anything over time.

That is worth repeating!! That is what has kept our 82 model sound so long. It gets a power wash every time it hauls a critter. Take the mats out and everything. Sometimes it seems to take longer to clean the trailer than the haul was. But you gotta take care of stuff to make it last. And it is good bio-security if you are buying and selling a lot.

You'll have to load them perfectly to get them in there and I like for cattle to have a little room when I haul them. I guess if they're small they would fit easily.[/quote]

TB, I agree. Big difference if he's hauling 6 or 8; also the size of cows. I don't like to crowd them too much but room to move about too much also becomes a problem with a light single axle truck. Buying new I'd go with a 20', used whichever is the best deal.

Everybody has their own preferences and needs so no need for me to question any of them. Seems no matter what I have it's too much trailer today and not enough trailer tomorrow.

MO_cows":3q7o3prt said:
Caustic Burno":3q7o3prt said:
MadRanchTX":3q7o3prt said:
I will most likely buy used. What is the standard width vs. ?
Also what about floor material, steel (seems like this would be a problem), wood, other. What is best.

Mine is treated lumber with cattle panel stapled to the floor and it's pushing 40 years old. The trick is to wash them out after use, then I spray it down with diesel. Manure and urine is corrosive and will eat up anything over time.

That is worth repeating!! That is what has kept our 82 model sound so long. It gets a power wash every time it hauls a critter. Take the mats out and everything. Sometimes it seems to take longer to clean the trailer than the haul was. But you gotta take care of stuff to make it last. And it is good bio-security if you are buying and selling a lot.

I pressure wash mine out after every use but had not thought about spraying the wood floor with diesel. This sounds interesting but does the smell cause any problems loading it next time? Do the cattle hesitate when they smell the diesel?

Jim

Never has bothered mine, but they don't have time to think about it either.
When I put one in the chute they are in a hurry to get on that trailer as we don't play in the chute.
Seems like 9 out of every 10 train wrecks I ever had was in the chute. I will lite one up in a heartbeat that isn't quickstepping it for the trailer. I had an F-1 a few years back flip over in the chute that was fun getting her out.

Wit hour trailer I soaked the wood with thompsons water seal. If had diesel soften wood too many times to want to use it very much on the floor

dun":3ewk67t7 said:
Wit hour trailer I soaked the wood with thompsons water seal. If had diesel soften wood too many times to want to use it very much on the floor
i dont put anything on my floor ,, i haul my horse's on it too.. that oil will slick back up when it rains or damp outside i do put mineral oil aka 'baby oil'' it cheaper :cowboy: around the edges of the floor and beams on the top my and keep it in the barn

ALACOWMAN":vk55ir9a said:
dun":vk55ir9a said:
i dont put anything on my floor ,, i haul my horse's on it too.. that oil will slick back up when it rains or damp outside i do put mineral oil around the edges of the floor and beams on the top my and keep it in the barn
The thompsons once it drys doesn;t get any slicker then wet wood

Latest posts