Stock Trailer Widths... Does it matter?

Help Support CattleToday:

rjp44

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new/new to me stock trailer. And have been trying to figure this out myself but getting no where.... Just curious if you guys think there is any benefits to having a wider trailer. Between the 6'8", 7', or 7'6" widths is there a difference in what you can load on that trailer and if so how much of a difference in numbers that you've noticed? Or does it just give each animal a little bit more room in there? Or just any other pros cons you've noticed.. Thanks in advance!

I don't have a ruler handy but mine is a covered tandem bumper pull with the horse hay/saddle storage locker up front, front entrance door on curb side, center swing gate and swing out rear gate with slider (2000# bull will fit through the slider....uuuuuumph...little tight). It's at least a foot wider than the little tandems, guessing they'd be 14' x 5'....5' = 60 plus fenders = 28" = 68" total width....guessing...seems about right. No problem with narrow WPA bridges or passing on narrow Farm to Market roads.

Mine must be a 6'8 for 80 + 28 = 108....sounds about right. Gotta suck it up if you get caught on a bridge, especially with a 1 ton flat bed coming at you with their mirrors fully extended.

Night and day on loading and carrying livestock especially 2000 bulls which can turn around in the rear compartment (smaller than front and doesn't have the front open area for hay feeding) of mine and couldn't turn around in the whole trailer with the 14x5'.

Width makes a good bit of difference. Mine is a 6'8" x 28' and I'd guess it will hold as many as a regular width 32'. I'm thinking once you go over 6'8" the price goes up substantially.

Oh ya i agree it matters to an extent. Wouldn't want nothing smaller than a 6'8" wide. But in comparison the trailer we own now is a 7'6"x26' and can hold 12-13 cows depending on size. And the 6'8"x24 we borrow often will hold 11cows.

Or does that extra ten inches make a difference the longer the trailer gets?

I did the math once. Iirc, a 7x20 is the same as a 6-8"x24 with three feet cut off (6-8x21). So, it takes a foot more in narrower to make up the difference of a 7 wide, at that length. I figure a 500 lb calf for every foot of a 6-8 trailer. If that holds, a 7x20 will hold 21 and a 6-8x24 will hold 24. But it's been a while since I figured it.

Now days the standard width is 6'8". Some make 7' their standard width. But, to answer your question, with todays cattle, I wouldn't look at a trailer that was anything but 6'8" or wider JMHO. A 7'6" or 8' trailer does make a difference with what you can haul. But, the wider ones are pricey. B&G

If you had to make a guess than, what would you say the difference in numbers for 1200#cows or 600# calves would be for 6'8"x28 vs. 7'6"x28? Is it a big enough difference to spend on that extra cost?

Brute 23":msnzvzha said:
Wider the better. Cuts back on the length.

Next trailer I order will be an aluminum 28', 7'6.
http://blog.gooseneck.net/wp-content/up ... mStock.pdf

Anyone done any study on pulling a 6'8" and 7.5 for ease of pull with less wind resistance?

I do want to raise another point here.I hear about guys pulling mega trailers loades heavy with a 3/4 ton truck.With today's engines,you can but I always think about something a cousin once told me."it's not what you can pull.It's what you can stop."

JW IN VA":2f6umdib said:
Brute 23":2f6umdib said:
Wider the better. Cuts back on the length.

Next trailer I order will be an aluminum 28', 7'6.
http://blog.gooseneck.net/wp-content/up ... mStock.pdf

Anyone done any study on pulling a 6'8" and 7.5 for ease of pull with less wind resistance?

I do want to raise another point here.I hear about guys pulling mega trailers loades heavy with a 3/4 ton truck.With today's engines,you can but I always think about something a cousin once told me."it's not what you can pull.It's what you can stop."

The modern 3/4 and 1 tons have the same brakes. Also, the exhaust brakes and down shifting in t/h work amazing to bring large loads to a stop. The only difference between a modern GM 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is an extra leaf spring and over load spring.

GM has gotten really aggressive on the exhaust brakes. My 15 was aggressive and my 17 is even more aggressive.

Wind resistance is something to consider. I can certainly tell the difference between 45 mph and 60 mph. Other thing is our FM-MKT roads are very narrow as are the WPA or CCC bridges and a 6'8 is really too much....when hauling I always let oncoming traffic cross ahead of me and don't pull at night.

I pull a 7' wide. Never noticed much difference than a 6-8. On a 24' trailer, its 8 SF. Enough for one more cow or two more large calves. An extra 1000 lbs worth of beef. The wind effects your mileage more than anything. I pulled 13,500 lbs of calves 300 miles with a moderate wind at my back. My mileage was worse coming back running empty with the wind in my face.

Trailer width depends on what you are comfortable width on the roads you travel. If you have a lot of highway travel over long distances, go for the wider trailer. If I bought another trailer, I would get another 7' wide.

The one thing I noticed with the wider trailers is that they hold more cows but have the same axles as regular width trailers. The 6.8x24 I had blew every tire on it out over a few years of light use. This time around I got the 6.8x28 mainly for the triple axle. This probably only comes into play with the 24' and 36' trailers.

Lucky":1ido4bi5 said:
The one thing I noticed with the wider trailers is that they hold more cows but have the same axles as regular width trailers. The 6.8x24 I had blew every tire on it out over a few years of light use. This time around I got the 6.8x28 mainly for the triple axle. This probably only comes into play with the 24' and 36' trailers.

I will second the triple axle upgrade. That was also one of my reasons for wanting a 28'. A 24' loaded down is fairly tongue heavy. I was very impressed with the few triple axle trailers I have pulled. It kept a noticeable amount of weight off the truck and pulled nice IMO.

One of my big deals on the next trailer is enough room to load my utv in the back and still have room for cattle or bulls up front. It has to be fairly wide for that.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like I could load my atv through the escape door on this trailer. I didn't get the movable front gate but dealer told me he could add it for a few hundred dollars.

Lucky":kfsgl9v9 said:

Were they factory tires? Most tires that come out on trailers are junk. I replace them with quality 14 ply tires and have no problems! B&G

Yes it was the factory tires that I had trouble with. I took 4 of the factory tires off the new trailer and put 14 plys on as soon as I got it home.

JW IN VA":6w7lfugf said:
Like button still doesn't work,Brute.

Ha. Mine doesn't either....at least didn't a few days ago last time I tried to use it....thought it was a problem with automatic computer software upgrades on my imac.

Latest posts