stock trailer gate

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat

Reaction score
I have a Hanover (I think) 16' stock trailer. It has a double gate in the rear. I have to pull the horizontal bar that is bolting both gates, but that requires a safety pin to be lifted to move it. Then a rod has to be raised on each door to open them.

Loading some calves becomes a project for a fast moving contortionist monkey! Getting the gate shut and latched, the the other one before they decide to come out.

I've decide to make them into one swinging gate.

I can copy a latch off of another trailer, but was wondering if anyone had any pictures of latches they fabricated.

Maybe I'm missing the big picture here. All of the stock trailers in my part of the country have two ways of opening, one sliding gate and one swing opening gate. The sliding gate is half as wide as the width of the trailer and slides open to the other half width of the trailer. This feature allows loading from a chute and quick closure. If you need to load from an swing open gate, full width of the trailer (can't think of a reason to do this) then your SOL for quick closing.

lavacarancher":2fvefbhv said:
Maybe I'm missing the big picture here. All of the stock trailers in my part of the country have two ways of opening, one sliding gate and one swing opening gate. The sliding gate is half as wide as the width of the trailer and slides open to the other half width of the trailer. This feature allows loading from a chute and quick closure. If you need to load from an swing open gate, full width of the trailer (can't think of a reason to do this) then your SOL for quick closing.
Sounds like he has what we call butterfly doors on his trailer. Lots of those around but I don't like them either. My Wilson trailer has a full swing or a roll up instead of a slide. That avoids manure buildup that can keep the slide from working. My center cut does have a slide but I rarely use it.
Back to original poster most trailer company's will build you the door you desire and install it. If the company is not local any good fabrication company can do it but either was it will be pretty expensive.

Kenny, I'm sure it's what you call butterfly doors.

I modified them yesterday by modifying the tops and bottoms so I could slide a piece of 3/4" round bar into the them and weld. Also added a plat top (3/16" x 6") from top to bottom on the closure side, and a similar piece horizontally from side to side.

I need to come up with a latch. The second link Supa Dexta posted is what I am leaning towards.

I'll never buy another trailer without slam gates. I would think you could add a spring to the drop pins on both doors and turn them both into slam gates fairly easily. That still wouldn't be as handy as a single gate but it would sure simplify things.

It surprises me that some don't like the butterfly gates. I can use the left or right side, open inside the trailer or out. Don't know how I'd get by without them. But I guess each person has different setups and uses. Either way, shoot us a pic D2Cat. I'd like to see your modification.

JMJ Farms":1uup4s1o said:
It surprises me that some don't like the butterfly gates. I can use the left or right side, open inside the trailer or out. Don't know how I'd get by without them. But I guess each person has different setups and uses. Either way, shoot us a pic D2Cat. I'd like to see your modification.

Don't mean this to sound argumentative but if you back up to a loading chute with one of the swing gates open how do you keep them in the trailer since you can't close the gate? Mine always seem to turn around and try to come back out of the trailer.

Mine open inside or out. So unless I'm loading the back cut completely full, I just open it to the inside. But if I'm loading it completely full I leave 3 foot between the back of the trailer and the chute. When I open the gate to the outside it hits against a post at one location or i let it hit the edge of the chute at the other location (to keep the cows from knocking it open). On the opposite side I just chain a panel to the trailer and the chute (if I only want to use one gate which I usually do) Then when loaded you do have to be kinda quick. I've told people many times, IMO loading cows is the most dangerous part of handling one. You have to act fast and think faster! Hope my explanation makes sense.

JMJ Farms":31bjkmdw said:
Mine open inside or out. So unless I'm loading the back cut completely full, I just open it to the inside. But if I'm loading it completely full I leave 3 foot between the back of the trailer and the chute. When I open the gate to the outside it hits against a post at one location or i let it hit the edge of the chute at the other location (to keep the cows from knocking it open). On the opposite side I just chain a panel to the trailer and the chute (if I only want to use one gate which I usually do) Then when loaded you do have to be kinda quick. I've told people many times, IMO loading cows is the most dangerous part of handling one. You have to act fast and think faster! Hope my explanation makes sense.

OK, got you, JM. I had forgotten about the gates swinging in. Thanks.

JMJ, I'll post a picture when it quits raining!! Do I need to go to the other site and register there to post here? Need a new password and moniker there to post here?

D2Cat":nx9fas5o said:
JMJ, I'll post a picture when it quits raining!! Do I need to go to the other site and register there to post here? Need a new password and moniker there to post here?

No you can post a pic here now pretty easy by judging clicking add image. Works good!

Here's some pictures. I used what I could find in my "bone pile". Put 3/4" SS rod in the top and bottom and in each side about 13". Use 1" sq. tubing for the door stop inside. Inside plate is 3/16" (I think) by 4" going horizontal.

I'm not finished with the hinge part. I'm going to modify it some.

When I get it all tacked together I'll take it to the shop and use the mig.

I load by myself and I have the driver's side of the trailer next to a panel. The door swings open and goes next to another panel. I need to be able to crowd them in with the gate and be able to slam it shut. With my setup the double gates only works with a hope and a prayer!

D2cat- I'm sure you already knew this, but you don't have to open both gates to load. Just open one. Never had a problem loading anything with butterfly doors.

As far as goosenecks go. we've got a couple long aluminum Wilsons with single rear doors for up and down blacktop etc. but or ranch trailers that the cowboys use have butterfly gates that can slam. Really prefer them for ranch settings.

not really what you are asking for, but I had the axles turned over on my trailer so I could stop breaking the u-bolts on rocks around here. one interesting side effect of raising the trailer up was once cattle jump in, they take way longer to come back out. Of course if you are trying to load an old crippled critter you need a step or ramp for her. and there have been a couple times a calf crawled under and got away, but for sure it was a big difference in them boiling back out on me when loading.

another thing I do is run a line of that nylon tape they use to pull cable from the top of my trailer gate up high and over to the latch side and then back along the side of the loading chute, when they are in I pull the trailer gate shut and keep it tight until I can get in to latch it. They never hit it unless it is just too crowded in there and even then they don't come out and I can still hold it pretty good until a leg gets back in or whatever. I keep the line in the truck and it comes in handy for other stuff too (emergency dog leash or horse halter, tie for pickup load, etc)

My slide on stock rack has 3 ways of opening, the entire gate assembly flips down as a ramp (I don't trust 3/4" plywood as a ramp though), it swings open, and it has a slider for a drop-gate.. I use the drop slider most with a rope.. works pretty darned good