Stock Trailer Floor ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tnfarmboy67

Reaction score
What do y'all use in your stock trailer floors to keep the Cattle from sliding around? I see a lot with stock panels nailed to the floors, but was wondering if the rubber mats that are made for horse stalls would work?

Regular cleaning, so that waste will fall through the cracks between boards is key. When it does start to get slick, a light coating of sand/gravel is my choice. Some people like the metal wire panels nailed to the floor for footing, but I just see them as another trap for manure. Bedding of any kind is the worst as it holds moisture and makes things very slick quickly.

I use 1/2" deformed bar (concrete reinforcing) welded into a grid pattern so that you get about 10" square in your measurements on the floor of my truck the bars directly on the floor run longitudinally so can be hosed out with pressure washer. I have the mesh in 2 sections as the box on the back of my truck is divided in two and the mesh panels are easily pulled off when I lift the box off to use the truck as a flat top. The floor is about 1/4" steel deck tread plate so has some grip to it as well but I have no problem with slipping and sliding when I take my bulls on a long trip for a sale. The deformed bar was recommended to me by an old fellow who Knew what he was talking about and I have no regrets doing it as he recommended.
I usually carry about 5 ton of stock on my Isuzu truck
Ken

I have rubber mats in both of my trailers. IMO, mats are the best traction and cushion for the animal's feet.

To do a good thorough job of cleaning with the pressure washer, you have to remove the mats, and let both the floor and mats dry thoroughly before reinstallation :idea:

Last year we took the mats out and applied a water sealer to the boards, let it dry for a few days and put it back. I'll probably do that again in the spring. Only thing I wish I could change is to have the inside painted brown so it will match after the cows are in there. It's mostly white right now.

Rubber mat for me too. Pull them once in a while and clean it out. Dad always mopped used motor oil on trailer floors. Probably the wrong thing to do but I still do it. Let it soak in and then put the mat back down.

backhoeboogie":38xj7zcz said:
Rubber mat for me too. Pull them once in a while and clean it out. Dad always mopped used motor oil on trailer floors. Probably the wrong thing to do but I still do it. Let it soak in and then put the mat back down.
This is what I do also. Sometimes I mix used oil with diesel on al my wood trailer floors will make them last a long time.

Latest posts