Stock Piling Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Knock the rodent population down....

They will get into any sacks you store too.

It is not easy to handle in bulk without some gear, but an old tractor, a pallet jack or a jib, or even a decent fram and tackle block you can do a lot.

I find the money difference a real motivator, that may not be your concern. Getting vege and other waste can be done with no equiptment,, but, yeah, your gonna spend a lot of time.... so maybe you should slowly build a reserve.....

greggy said:
Knock the rodent population down....

They will get into any sacks you store too.

It is not easy to handle in bulk without some gear, but an old tractor, a pallet jack or a jib, or even a decent fram and tackle block you can do a lot.

I find the money difference a real motivator, that may not be your concern. Getting vege and other waste can be done with no equiptment,, but, yeah, your gonna spend a lot of time.... so maybe you should slowly build a reserve.....
Our big operation has machinery. Are two small ones do not. We do keep the rats down with poison but I think you'd need to live here ti appreciate what I mean haha.

I had a dead rat on my doorstep the other day :)

cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:
cowgal604 said:
Couldn't with my hens. Too many. My cows would be fine with no grain.

You can buy grain in other ways than sacks.
We buy corn once a year. Right out of the combine, usually less than half the price of the feed store.

We have a lot of rats here. Our biggest issue is keeping food from rats. We stock as much as we can but too much brings an insane rodent issue.

Also not all of my farms are equipped to manage a tot of grain which is what we call it. Not all the ability to lift a ton with machinery which is what id need where I am to buy in bulk.

I use a enclosed cargo trailer with double doors and a single door in the front. They can slip a 1 ton pallet in it and I do not have to unload just open the doors and get the feed out. If I were you I would find a 6x12 or 6x14 with tandem axles. Double or single door on the back no ramps and a single door on the front. You might get three tons on it on pallets and wrapped. No rat problems what so every. My trailer is 5x10 single axle with a v nose on it. I have been looking for one the size I recommended.

cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:
cowgal604 said:
Couldn't with my hens. Too many. My cows would be fine with no grain.

You can buy grain in other ways than sacks.
We buy corn once a year. Right out of the combine, usually less than half the price of the feed store.

We have a lot of rats here. Our biggest issue is keeping food from rats. We stock as much as we can but too much brings an insane rodent issue.

Also not all of my farms are equipped to manage a tot of grain which is what we call it. Not all the ability to lift a ton with machinery which is what id need where I am to buy in bulk.

I use a enclosed cargo trailer with double doors and a single door in the front. They can slip a 1 ton pallet in it and I do not have to unload just open the doors and get the feed out. If I were you I would find a 6x12 or 6x14 with tandem axles. Double or single door on the back no ramps and a single door on the front. You might get three tons on it on pallets and wrapped. No rat problems what so every. My trailer is 5x10 single axle with a v nose on it. I have been looking for one the size I recommended.

We use the upright feed bins that we have picked up over the years for feed. They are rodent proof because there is no way for them to get into them through the sliding door on the bottom. You do have to watch for any leaks on the top or the sides if they are metal. There are the poly bins now that hold 1-3 tons of feed. We have mice and rats and these feed bins have stopped that. Has also stopped the dam$#d groundhogs that will climb up on the flat bed hay wagons where we used to keep extra seed grain in bags. They will also chew through the 5 gallon buckets we keep some seed or stuff in with the sealed lids. It is cheaper to get feed by the ton and have it delivered and then you can just get it out of the bottom of the bin in 5 gal buckets to feed with. No electricity, no hauling bags, makes our lives alot easier.

farmerjan said:
We use the upright feed bins that we have picked up over the years for feed. They are rodent proof because there is no way for them to get into them through the sliding door on the bottom. You do have to watch for any leaks on the top or the sides if they are metal. There are the poly bins now that hold 1-3 tons of feed. We have mice and rats and these feed bins have stopped that. Has also stopped the dam$#d groundhogs that will climb up on the flat bed hay wagons where we used to keep extra seed grain in bags. They will also chew through the 5 gallon buckets we keep some seed or stuff in with the sealed lids. It is cheaper to get feed by the ton and have it delivered and then you can just get it out of the bottom of the bin in 5 gal buckets to feed with. No electricity, no hauling bags, makes our lives alot easier.

I still cannot get the product unloaded is my problem. Only option is bags or tots. Tots weigh one ton. I have to have a way to unload the tot. Some of us are stuck to bags because of limited access and that's the crappy part.

Where do you live that you can not buy bulk feed? Sounds like a unfortunate place to live. Here no one will deliver less than 2 tons bulk. Just different locations i guess

Hi cow gal what state do you live in, I'm wondering because I'm concerned about my feed store closing

Latest posts