stock dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
i use and train border collies. does anyone else use stock dogs?what breed do most people like? :cboy:

I have 3 Border Collies, and a German sheperd right now but used to have 2 Austrailian Cattle Dogs (most commonly known as Blue Heelers). If I could find someone in the area that breeds them (and actually knows what breeding means), I would go back in a heartbeat. Not that I don't like my borders, because I do -- they are smart, and will do what they can to help. But my ACD's were awesome -- you won't find a better "doing" dog ... you show them something once, and they have it down. And even manage to think of things you don't! And they will work ALL day long, til the job is done.

I got caught in a pasture once, with a bull hot on my heels, and I tripped over a rut, and fell -- I prepared for the "hit", just at that moment I saw 2 shapes fly over me -- my heelers got the bull off. One took the front, and the other the back end. I scrambled under the wire and called them off ...... not in time enough tho, the female to take a good shot to the shoulder. She got up, limping (her shoulder was diagnosed as broke), and took off after that bull .... she was P*SSED!

Unfortunately they both had to be put down, the male had over agressive behavior (which can be a issue in that breed), and the female was injured in a farm accident and never recovered. Not a day goes by, especially when I am working cattle, that I don't look for those two to be backing me up.

My sister uses blue heelers and boy does she have stories to tell about them. I have a red heeler that I wouldn't take a million dollars for, we were walking back from locking the gate one afternoon all the sudden she started deliberetly walking into my left leg and making me move in a 90 degree angle to the right from the road this went on for about 20 feet and she kept looking a head and continued bumping into me until I stopped and looked in the direction the kept gazing at and I realized there was a 5 foot rattlesnake crossing the path we were taking.

I have a very good Kelpie Border Collie cross dog and another developing Kelpie dog they are both good workers. I have another Border Collie bitch who's not too bad and another Border Collie Kelpie cross bitch who's not bad either. I use my dogs a fair bit to keep the cattle in line. I've had Blue Heelers before but they are a bit too full on at times for our cattle. I know they are very good out in the larger property areas,for wilder untamed cattle.

Colin

Australian Cattleman":1rweictm said:
I have a very good Kelpie Border Collie cross dog and another developing Kelpie dog they are both good workers. I have another Border Collie be nice who's not too bad and another Border Collie Kelpie cross be nice who's not bad either. I use my dogs a fair bit to keep the cattle in line. I've had Blue Heelers before but they are a bit too full on at times for our cattle. I know they are very good out in the larger property areas,for wilder untamed cattle.

Colin

I have a Bordie Collie good dog but the best stock dog I ever owned was a Jack Russell.

I agree that the Heeler can get quite aggressive, and even more so when challenged. They are great for loading, and unloading stock -- my female always would make sure she was in between me and the new cattle, and if one approached, she would let them know to keep their distance. They just seem to have some uncanny sense about them.

My 3 Borders try very hard to understand what I want out of them, but are, for me, too timid on the uptake. When I need them to show some gumption, they back down. And heaven forbid if one should get swatted at, or a cow challenge them --- they back down. Of course, these 2 are fairly young dogs (not even a year), and I am hoping in time they will be more confident. Their mother was kicked while pregnant with her first litter, lost the litter and her confidence all in one shot -- although seems to be getting her bearings back as time goes on and as long I am with her. She is a one person dog.

The sheperd on the other hand, doesn't back down, or give up -- he just can't understand the command to "stop". He will keep the herd rounded up, even if I am trying to seperate them! I have to literally tell him "out" and have him leave the pasture. But he also is only about 1 1/2 yrs old -- but he is showing some promise. Time will tell.

tnwi, are your border collies bred to work cattle.that can make a difference.some sheep bred dogs will work cattle but some do not have the grit.if they do not have grit they should be culled from the bred. you have to build confidence in your dogs.i like to start young dogs on dog broke calves something that the dog can move easy.and most trainers will tell you not work cattle before a 1yr of age.as for heelers if they get the job done for you thats great.i have had several over the yrs but it take twice as much training to get them to work the way i want them to work.most heelers have no natural balance (driving dogs) i want a dog to fetch cattle to me.my dad is training a red heeler and the balance thing has been a real struggle but she is coming around. best thing about the heelers at least the ones i have had in the past they have no fear of anything if i could get that in my border collies without losing the balance.crossbreeding dosnt seem to work at least when we've tryed it. will try to get pic of my dog working and post

jbar":1nblhcln said:
tnwi, are your border collies bred to work cattle.that can make a difference.

The sire of the pups is a awesome cattle dog -- and the mother was a stray that was given to me when my first heeler was put down. She is definite purebred Border. She was working well with the female heeler, learning her cues but then the heeler had to be put down. After that, during a regular feeding time, she walked out with me and tried to keep the cows at bay, heifer got irritated, whirled on her and she and got hurt. That ended that.

I still have that heifer (now a cow), and she pulls the same thing almost every time my female Border is in the pasture. However, the sheperd is big enough to worry her, and I encourage that. I have one male Border pup that really is starting to not take any guff -- he works well with the sheperd, however, he is still young, and I don't want him to get ahead of himself. Just takes that one kick......

The cows I have know dogs, and what they are there for -- it's not that they aren't used to the nipping of the heels (or thighs if they don't move the from the first nip), it's that the cows have figured out how to intimidate.

Latest posts