stir crazy

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
This ain't good. We have had cloudy rainy days for most of the past several months. Now we've settled into day after day after consarned (I'm resurrecting that word) day of cold cold rain. Entire farm is mud. Can't get the baleage moved where we need it for winter, which will be here any second. Have already rutted up some nice fields. Working outside for hours in 38 degree rain is big fun. This is very very unusual. We have really not had a typical weather pattern in months now. I'm sick of winter and ready for summer, and it's...still October.

GULP.

boondocks":255hmyn1 said:
This ain't good. We have had cloudy rainy days for most of the past several months. Now we've settled into day after day after consarned (I'm resurrecting that word) day of cold cold rain. Entire farm is mud. Can't get the baleage moved where we need it for winter, which will be here any second. Have already rutted up some nice fields. Working outside for hours in 38 degree rain is big fun. This is very very unusual. We have really not had a typical weather pattern in months now. I'm sick of winter and ready for summer, and it's...still October.

GULP.

You will really be stir crazy after 11/4 when the time rolls back an hour. :bang:

I have a small inkling of what it might be like, we had a wet day yesterday and I couldn't get done what I wanted to do, it drove me up the wall. Can't imagine what it might be like once you get snowed in. Our winters are great, very frosty mornings melting to beautifull mild days where you can get lots done.

Ken

yep.. rain rain rain rain here.. just dug a 335' trench for a electric line I just got covered up.. 3 days of rain after.. now its dried up enough to dig.. I have another trench of 100' to dig today. 3 more days of rain coming tomorrow.. so....

have 270' of gutter to hang and 100+ tons of stone that needs to be spread. plus a million other things needed before its nothing but mud

At least you don't have beans sitting in the field with no where for them to go. Wheat to be planted, and ground to be chisel plowed. Lots needing scraped out, fences need built or repaired, cows need moved, and calves weaned. That's before we even get to move a single bale.
But we will get her done up sooner or later, the Lord willing.

boondocks":3alrj7y3 said:

GULP.

Except for the coldWelcome to North Texas!

We haven't had rain for weeks, and that was OK but nothing special. I'm hoping it's mild this winter, with manageable snow storms. I don't need a drought, but I don't want a New England winter again, either.

sim.-ang.king":fgab7mhj said:
At least you don't have beans sitting in the field with no where for them to go. Wheat to be planted, and ground to be chisel plowed. Lots needing scraped out, fences need built or repaired, cows need moved, and calves weaned. That's before we even get to move a single bale.
But we will get her done up sooner or later, the Lord willing.

Similar here actually. Ended up brushhogging instead of a second cutting on our big field. Have parts of it I can't get into to finish, big weedy mess. Neighbors' corn still up. Fall and spring are our big polywire times and It's big fun in this cold rain. Can't get into the winter pasture to get it cleaned out and ready for feeding hay. But the bales are the big concern; our farm is stepped and we need to get them down the steep hill before it ices up. Gonna have to tear up the farm road I guess.

We finally dried out enough to get some chores done. I took a vacation day yesterday and we worked from can see to can't see. Worked some calves, moved keeper heifers across the road, hauled hay, repaired fence, move cows to different pastures, planted some ryegrass. I'm so thankful we got all that done since it's raining again. We have some calves to sell but don't know when it'll be dry enough to load them.

Raining here today, after some really nice weather for about 4 days. Got almost everything done I needed to get done.
Our winter....I'm ready for it now.
Lots better shape starting this one than last one for sure.

You could move to Western Washington and get that weather every single year from October through April. I remember one year we got 60 inches of rain in 120 days. It actually rained on 90 of those 120 days so it averaged 0.666 inch a day. No big gully washers just constantly wet and in the 30's every single day. The majority of the days that it didn't rain it was cloudy.

Same Upstate NY weather here. Even if it's not raining - it's threatening rain any minute. We had a dry day Friday, so we got all the spring calving cows worked. And yesterday was dry, so we got the last two groups (fall calvers & replacement heifers) worked. Actually was dry again this morning, so we got more projects done - but rain started before we finished. Just keep pecking away at things. Real DREARY day after day.

You can't imagine how dry we are here, even after the 2" of rain we got out of the hurricane. I planted oats, clover and ryegrass 10 days ago and the seed hasn't germinated yet. We're supposed to get a rain Friday but the weather liars said the same thing last week.

STILL RAINING but we had to start weaning today. Sloppy mess everywhere. Not good. Corn everywhere I look today, in our area. At what point is it a total loss? Would have to think it's getting close. Snow coming next week.....

The corn is still fine if it is going to be combined. The beans are getting close to being a problem. My calves have been weaned since 1st week in September, so they are doing fine. My fall calves were mostly all born in September, 1 mid October and 1 just recently. The recent calf is the only one that does not know to go into the calf shelter. Hopefully, he learns soon. I almost ran over him yesterday. We have our baleage lined up on the other side of their winter area. It was raining again/still (surprise!!), when all of a sudden he jumped up in front of me and ran down between rows. The newborns tend to go under the 1 strand hi-tensile and snuggle up in the tall grasses by the line of bales. Woke me up!