Crazy Winter Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":3nsh3noe said:
We got 3.1" rain yesterday for a total of over 6" this week. Still pouring rain. Widespread flooding. We're safe but I do have a couple acres flooded.
Glad you're okay.See where VSP is advising caution in SW Va for flooded roads.Not that bad up here.River is at <6' at Goshen.Low water(drought) is 1.3'.Still nowhere near alert stage of 9'.

We have had in the 2 + inch range. It rained steady to hard last night. Fields a mess to try to get in & out of. Guess I am glad to not be hauling water, but I can barely get in to get to the one barn to take care of the nurse cows & calves. Feast or famine. At least it has stopped for now. Radar shows us getting a break til tomorrow morning. Looks to be staying a bit south of us. Sure am not wishing this on anyone else. Have flood warnings and watches and Nelson county is supposed to be in the warning area. Water running hard and fast in the creeks because it can't soak in through the frost levels in the ground. Temps hit 61 and not supposed to get below freezing for over a week. Oh well, we will do what we can/have to....
Funny thing is parts of Texas are in the 20's and 30's....topsy-turvy upside down weather patterns.

Sleet/freezing rain this am; just in time for the first calf of the season to be born... :roll:

Have had bitter cold in Dec-mid Jan (way below zero with wind chills down to minus 35), then near-constant snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain-rain/back to freezing rain/snow snow snow/rain/freezing rain/sleet sleet sleet...
I AM SICK OF IT.
Roads here are quite steep and I'm getting old by the hour trying to keep it between the ditches. Our highway crew thinks we have hovercraft or ice skates or some alternate mode of transit that I do not in fact possess.

It has rained so hard that my cows have come to the barn just to get out of the rain....I have never had them do that before....it has poured here and roads flooding everywhere...we are seeing hurricane volume rains...

pdfangus":1k41vjcy said:
It has rained so hard that my cows have come to the barn just to get out of the rain....I have never had them do that before....it has poured here and roads flooding everywhere...we are seeing hurricane volume rains...

:frowns: :frowns:

That just don't sound fun atall.

M-5":2bsslx5x said:
Since yesterday morning we have had 9.5 " more on the way today. Good news is it's comfortable and grass is Loving it.
The grass is growing I'll give you that. Otherwise it's not very comfortable around here. I'm hurting from the lack of doing nothing, sitting still is for office workers.

True Grit Farms":3bp1c3if said:
M-5":3bp1c3if said:
Since yesterday morning we have had 9.5 " more on the way today. Good news is it's comfortable and grass is Loving it.
The grass is growing I'll give you that. Otherwise it's not very comfortable around here. I'm hurting from the lack of doing nothing, sitting still is for office workers.

No grass growing here. Probably take another month. I detest sitting. I like doing projects - it's what feeds the beast.

kenny thomas":2j0hsv10 said:
skyhightree1":2j0hsv10 said:
If you can see this do y'all know where it is?

It could be anywhere in Southwest Virginia this morning. Were flooding pretty bad

That pic was of the flood of 85 in Roanoke

Bright Raven":2j0hsv10 said:
skyhightree1":2j0hsv10 said:
If you can see this do y'all know where it is?

That is what SE Kentucky looks like too. Saw it on the news last night.

Never a good thing

pdfangus":2j0hsv10 said:

We will probably have a dry summer here.

Been in the teens the last few days. Now today in the 40's and high 60's by Thursday. Really sloppy here. Everything is thawing out and now it is raining too just adding to the water.