Steer w really bad pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
I have a steer and its pinkeye is simply gross. It's eye is like a cone protruding out. I don't know if it will definitely lose the eye or what. The pinkeye started in it around the end of July. From what I read it should heal itself around 5 or 6 weeks but I'm now on 7 or 8 w nosing of improvement. The beginning of August I treated w 20 ml la300. I than did a 2nd treatment but was only able to get 10 ml. I don't have a way of getting close to him so I shot him w a dart gun. He now won't let me get close enough to do that. What if anything should I do at this point? Even if I could get antibiotics in him would they even help at this point?

draxxin might. la300 won't at this point. draxxin is expensive and either way may need another dose. still may be too late. hate to say it but I might be inclined to let nature take it's course on this bull and save your money for a couple of gates and a squeeze chute. ugh. bad situation.

True Grit Farms":23bqlwve said:
But with no way to catch him, I figured there's no way to really doctor him up.

The first lesson I learned in raising cattle is that corn makes cows sick. The second lesson was you have to have some way catch them to correct the lessons they teach you about how many ways they know to get sick.

Yea angus I learned the hard way. I'm making a chute now and have a head gate at my dads just waiting for him to drive the 6 hrs and deliver it. Family = free delivery

Nicklausjames":20x7uki0 said:
Yea angus I learned the hard way. I'm making a chute now and have a head gate at my dads just waiting for him to drive the 6 hrs and deliver it. Family = free delivery

Learning is supposed to be the fun part but I never found it real fun. I've heard it said that experience is a SOB of a teacher. She gives you the test first then teaches you the lesson.

Low on options by the sounds of it at this point - and yes I'm serious. Haven't had any cases here the last few yrs to need to try it - but its a go to trick by a lot of bigger operators than myself. Im assuming it causes the eye to water a lot, and flushes it out sooner, but I don't know the reason, they just swear by it. Plus its in a pressurised can, so its easier to spray.

The first sign of pink eye, lock up animal put the nose tongs on and inject LA 200 into the eye lid works every time. one treatment. If not treated the eye will burst and will not look pleasant.

I've had luck feeding auremyocin crumbles mixed in creep feed. Probably lost eye but may keep it from rupturing ?

Please.
Don't squirt PB Blaster or diesel in the eye. Don't inject LA-200 in the eyelid.
None of those are appropriate or helpful.

A proper dose of long-acting oxytetracycline or Draxxin - administered as directed on the label - would have been appropriate early in the process, and a patch or sewing lids shut might well have helped; not seeing the eye, it's hard to say, but you're probably past the point of any treatment you can render doing this eye any good.

Back in August I would have given him 3 CC of Pen in the eyelid, and LA200 per the label. I don't use LA200 for anything else but it works for pink eye.

I've got to scold you on facilities. You at least need a Medina Gate or isolation chute. This is like buying living room and bedroom furniture and setting it out in the weather because you do not have a house to put it in. Don't buy animals if you cannot care for them.

I've always just put a portion of a tube of mastitis medicine under the eyelid (it doesn't stay long but at least it's oil based and doesn't wash out quite so quickly), then applied a patch cut from an old pair of jeans or overalls glued on with the same glue sale barns use on tags.....do it early and when the patch falls off you'll seldom even have a spot in the eye.

Latest posts