Steer to processor

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
I have a guy taking a FED Steer to the processor. The steer needs to be there early Friday morning.
The hauler wants to pick him up Thursday evening let him hang out in the trailer Thursday night and drop him off Early Friday morning at the processor.
Is this OK or should i find a new hauler. I'm worried about shrinkage.

Also whose to say there wont be a switch,, :secret:
Bill

Why would it matter about shrinkage? Going by the book it is also recommended that you not feed an animal several hours before slaughter to reduce the stomach contents and make for easier cleaning and less waste to be removed. I wouldn't worry about these two but what would concern me is if the calf got upset being away in a strange place cause if he gets upset and riled then he might be a dark cutter and that's no good. Can't stand bloody hamburger. I think I'd rather take him a day early and let him stand in a pen beside others than to be couped up by himself in a trailer all night. Of course that depends on the animal. Done one the same way myself and he was a real calm animal and didn't have any trouble with him. So I guess it depends on the animal. Is he a calm one or a bit skiddish?

i have trailered them overnight and they come out just fine. some fret some don't. are you going to use that new chute to load him?

BILL CLAYLAND":31qc8dzj said:
I have a guy taking a FED Steer to the processor. The steer needs to be there early Friday morning.
The hauler wants to pick him up Thursday evening let him hang out in the trailer Thursday night and drop him off Early Friday morning at the processor.
Is this OK or should i find a new hauler. I'm worried about shrinkage.

Also whose to say there wont be a switch,, :secret:
Bill

I first read this thinking we was going to be hanging dead overnight. Should be tender.

Latest posts