Steer just ate a bunch of wilted cherry leaves

Help Support CattleToday:

the danger is real.
the results of an overdose are pretty sudden.
if they eat green leaves they are okay
if they eat dry leaves they are okay.
it is the freshly wilted that will kill...

jerry27150":1f0cz6pc said:
from what I have heard from older farmers they will die in a few hours if they eat fresh wilted ones
That's what my Grandpa always said. As soon as a big limb with fresh leaves on it would fall in the pasture near the house, he would always make sure he got it out of the pasture ASAP.

without knowing we had the cows around a dead cherry branch with leaves on it.. they didn't touch them! I guess they know it ain't good for them!

We are shade poor on our farm. Of the 20 trees we have, i'd say 8-10 are wild cherry. I've wanted to cut them since we got here. But cannot bring myself to do so. Gotten lucky so far. Papaw was lucky too.

Another update, the steer in question is now deceased, he died 9 days after eating the cherry leaves. The good news is it was caused by the butcher bolt. He hung at 818 and I have 501 lbs of beef in our personal deep freeze. I'm glad the cherry didn't kill him because his marbling is excellent the butcher was impressed.

Several years ago I lost a reg. Brangus bull to a cherry tree, Had a windstorm and split a tree. Found him dead in the field. Thought he had been hit by lightning, then found the tree, his were the only tracks in the mud, I guess the cows were smarter. It was spring and there was lots of pasture.
I now have a vendetta against cherry trees, every winter i cut all i can find, as far as I know I only have one left. My place has woods that used to be thick with wild cherry.

Latest posts