Steer is a bull...?..

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Dumb newbie question ---

We bought a Hereford bull last December he was 685 pounds. He was pretty beefy looking, had a crest on his neck, but not sure of his age , since we bought him at an auction. Young-ish though, like 9-12 months old we thought.
So my husband's boss castrated him for us in the stock trailer, not an easy feat due to his size. He showed my husband how to scrape the cords and vessels to lessen the risk of bleeding. Both testicles were removed. In about a month he lost the 'crest' to his neck.
So my heifer came into heat the other day , the steer was piggy-backing her and rolling his upper lip when he smelled her urine. I have noticed that his penis is out quite frequently. I just figured he did that because he could :)
So the Ai guy came to inseminate the heifer, and he said, uh, you know your steer is really a bull..., don't you? Uh no, we didn't... he said he saw the "steers' penis out about 5 inches, probably not out enough to breed a cow, but nonetheless a steer wouldn't do that. He said that perhaps all of the epidydimis wasn't removed, and tissue had re-grown.
So has anyone heard or experienced this? Would he be able to impregnate a cow without having testicles? Obviously he hasn't yet, because both the heifer and the cow have been having regular heats, and they've been together for months now. What about the meat, since he's going into the freezer this Autumn...?

Thanks!
Susie

Ps We bred our hereford hiefer to a Murray Grey bull- Ai guy said she was at the perfect point in her heat to be bred- Crossing our fingers!

Susie, (Don't worry my dear, I'm a newbie too, but here goes my guess...) Maybe, as with a breeding dog (I can ony relate to dogs-I'm a trainer, K-9 handler and certified behaviorist-Dogs, I know...cows, I'm learning...) you can neuter them 5-6 years down the road, but they don't forgot what they did!! They remember the act, but shoot blanks!!! Could be a possibility, let me know!! Annie

Unless your husband's boss is not good at counting to 2 I wouldn't worry. It is hard to miss the second one when you open the sack.

[Unless your husband's boss is not good at counting to 2 I wouldn't worry. It is hard to miss the second one when you open the sack]

ha ha!! No I saw them both too! :)

Susie

Susie...just watch your herd, humping is normal, the cows do it, the heifers do it, the steers do it, the baby calves even do it. They are responding to natural instincts. Early mornings and late evenings seem to bring on the actions. We've slaughtered recent steers two months later and didn't notice any difference in the meat quality...they are harder to finish and will probably be really lean.
In the trailer...bet that was a real rodeo.
Good luck...
The U of Idaho puts out a really good guide to cow/calf management....contact Angela Corean...208-885-6345...
[email protected]...will be the best money that you could spend on your operation.

Susie, no worries. If you saw two testicles and detached them both, your heifers are safe (they may get violated, but nothing will come of it).

No jewels, no babies....

i have had steers that have some penis showing and they will ride and let you know when a cow is in. they make good gomers. if you a.i. he would be a good asset.

Latest posts