Steel vs. Aluminum Stock Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer":34ju3yp8 said:
Who was driving when that trailer hit the fence? Can you blame that on anybody?

Only person to blame is me. Or maybe the wife's Dodge for having those cute little mirrors and it being about midnight.

THIS IS NOT A DIG ON CF - !!!!

Go ahead, everybody else does! I thought maybe dun had you on his payroll.

cfclutz

Not on Dun's payroll - still trying to get some sort of disability and get on Crowder's check list. I need to get on some sort of check, I'm sick and tired of supporting all of these check getters up here!

Then I can get me a newer model trailer and just let it set around and make everybody jealous.

In 1995 I bought a 20' aluminum sooner for $8500. I sold it in 2004 for $9500. I did take care of it and it was still in nearly new condition. I just feel it wasn't quite tough enough to be bouncing around pastures moving cows from pasture to pasture. If you're going to be exclusively on the highway, the aluminum would probably be fine.

We went through this debate in Feb. We went with the Titan. I just had issues paying twice as much for aluminum. I guess I am just cheep that way. But with my 6' 8"x 20' they said it would be just about 1000 lbs of difference. We don't trailer tons but I thought the difference would be a lot because we just go to show and don't take a trailer full often.

I was seeing rusted POCs at auction going for $3k. I will admit I do like how aluminum looks good almost all the time and I will buy one later in the game but for our first new trailer and considering I bought enough cows this year to make up the difference in cost I am quite happy with mine. Although, I will say I had 2 clearence lights go out in the first 2 weeks. The plugs were not installed correctly.

I like the slam gates and the light switch on the rear. When I get a new trailer I will get one with the movable interior gate. I did like that on the Barrett we looked at.

I noticed that a dealer at the NAILE (Louisville) had my trailer there for a grand more than I paid for mine.

I went through this same dilemna last year. Bought a 20' Featherlite (GREAT price) but had to drive to Oklahoma City to get it. LOVE the trailer.. except that I wish it was 7' instead of 6'8". And definately check out http://www.horsetrailerworld.com. That's where I found mine.. and spent months shopping. They have new dealers as well as used trailers, and you can find stuff in the dealers yards sometimes as well.

I still have the 32' Travalong, which is an outstanding trailer (steel) and I can hardly tell any difference pulling it than the 20'. It's always pulled exceptionally well.

Whoops! Forgot to mention this. If you're in a warm climate, look for what they call the "Houston package" .. which is the solid sides only 1/2 way up the trailer, the rest with air gaps. This was the main reason I had so much trouble finding a trailer.. I knew the "hot boxes" would be a nightmare here in the summer! I'm sure all manufacturers offer it.. it's just harder to find.

All,

Thanks for the many comments. My search continues but I found a good website / dealer that is fairly close and from looking around it seems the primary weight difference between steel and aluminum is about 1000-1500 lbs. This is significantly different from the 3k-4k figure that was indicated by the Barrett dealer. Seems the Travalong aluminum trailers have good prices, etc. Anyway, here is the site that has weights for the trailers they carry.

http://mellortrailers.com/

Tom

Latest posts