Steel Toed Footware

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
This thread is an off-shoot of the current injury thread....
For years I wore steel toed boot while working around heavy and explosive equipment...
While cattle and horses aren't quite as heavy, I have shied away from using them... The reason would the potential of one of these critters stepping on your foot and crushing the steel protection right around the toes of your foot...
I will also say that this is a theoretical thought that I have with nothing to support it...
How many of you wear steel-toed footware??? Do you see more advantages or disadvantages in their use aroound cattle and horses?
TIA

J.C. working cows with steel toes could be an advantage, unless they stomp down real hard the boots will protect your lil piggys. :D I worked heavy construction for 35 years and have heard horor stories of steel and composit toes colapsing, and amputating toes. :oops: The truth is if they had not been worn, the toes would have been crushed beond repair anyway. A few years back I was wearing a pair when a 17,000lb air handler was rolled over my foot. :help: The steel toe colapsed and crushed my big toe. I think that the damage would have been worse if I had not had them on.
Also if you get crowded by one of your cows, a swift kick in the shin will get her atention a lot quicker if you have steel toes. :eek:
Good luck, Mac

Just Curious":2t9gmbq6 said:
How many of you wear steel-toed footware??? Do you see more advantages or disadvantages in their use aroound cattle and horses?
TIA

I don't, and I don't see any advantages or disadvantages to them. I think it's a matter of personal preference and the cows you're working with.

Does the steel in the toes of these boots crush?

The only reason I wouldn't wear them is that I'm afraid they'd be heavy...and I couldn't break into a sprint, and sustain it if I needed to...or make a quick turn. Otherwise, I've had occasion to wish that I'd had them on...and not just because a cow/calf stomped on my foot.

Alice

I wear steel toes. It's like seat belts. Your chances are better when you use them.
gabby.

I wear steel toe and metatarsal(sp) protection for some jobs. They seem to be colder in the winter. I seen two cases where the steel toes were spread by weight and amputated some toes. And one case where the steel toes didn't matter cause the fellows foot was gone in front of his leg. And they do help if you foot is stepped on by an animal.

Alice":rav4u1w5 said:
Does the steel in the toes of these boots crush?

The only reason I wouldn't wear them is that I'm afraid they'd be heavy...and I couldn't break into a sprint, and sustain it if I needed to...or make a quick turn. Otherwise, I've had occasion to wish that I'd had them on...and not just because a cow/calf stomped on my foot.

Alice
I've been wearing steel toe boots for quite awhile. My prefered boot is the Wolverine durashock. Its as light and comfortable as a pair of sneakers, and they have saved my toes from both cattle and horses.

I wear Red Wings with steel toes. Once you are used to the steel toes, being without them is dangerous...and painful.

I wear redwing steel toes at work and steel toe muckboots when working cattle in the mud or winter. I have to admit I wear sandals quite often. Yesterday we worked a few calves and I was in sandals. My feet were never in a bad spot. We were just pouring and eartagging. All cattle were on the other side of a railing. I never had to get in the pens with them. I just sweep gates to move them along, and into the chute. If I have to get in with them I won't wear sandals. BTW don't weld in them either. Don't ask how I know about this. I don't always heed my advice there either.

I've always worn either a pair of old shoes or rubber boots out in the pens, even when working with cattle in close proximity in the shute, never steel toes like my dad does. I haven't had my foot stepped on ever, only time was when a steer that was overly freindly did it to me, and he wasn't being pushed into the squeeze. I guess I've always kept a wary eye out for that sort of stuff, as well as flying hooves and lowered heads when I am working with the cattle.

Heck, I've worn sandles in the corral and out in the pasture so many times I've lost count, and have gotten cow sh!t on my bare feet and legs 'cause of it! :shock: Did I really mind? He!! no.

I wear steel toed boots at work because it is required by my job. Remember steel toes are rated to protect for a weight up to 75lbs. falling from a maximum height of 3 feet. I saw an episode of mythbusters where they tried to recreate an amputation of the toes by dropping different weights from different heights onto the steel portion of the boot. They managed to crush the fake foot but could never get it to amputate the toes.

I've worn them off and on, doesn;t seem to help a whole lot. Seems cows prefer to step on the ball of your foot or above the toes.

dun

I wear them when I'm leading the cattle with a halter. We had one show cow that deliberately stepped on feet. As a 6 month old calf she broke some bones in my foot at a fair. She bruised my foot badly the next year. When she was 2, I was washing her and she was dancing around until she got a foot on top of mine, then stood still. I had just gotten my steel toed boots, and that incident sold me on them. My husband always told me the horror stories of the steel crushing, but guess what? That cow must have weighed 1500 lbs and was deliberately putting her weight on my foot, and the steel didn't even bend. Only problem at that point was I was pinned there. :eek:

Walking the pastures I use a good running/walking shoe.

I have to wear them for work but don't use them at home. Uncomfortable and a lot colder on your feet during the winter. Broke my left foot twice working with cattle, as dun said it was at the ball of the foot and steel toes wouldn't have helped one bit.

cfpinz

Had a very big tube steel member fall onto my foot in '89. It bent the steel toe and pinned my toes in my shoe. The shoe was cut off my foot from the bottom (sole) side.

No injury was sustained. Had I not been wearing steel toes I probably would have had a crushed foot, as a minimum.

I wear steel toe boots. I've found them to be MORE comfortable then regular boots, as they seem to have more room. I can't tell the difference in weight, I can't out run a cow anyway. I can tell a big difference in them even in just stubbing my toes on various hard things, and kicking various hard things :lol: I wore flip flops to feed my bottle calf last night and she stepped on my toes and even her little self hurt! Boots tonight!

I also wear steel toed boots to work in. Brands differ, but I feel just a bit safer moving 100 cows a shot since I have my toes protected. :)

I wear steel toes all day, every day. I would definitely recommend them around cattle. I've finally got my wife/kids to wear them also when working the livestock. The higher quality brands are comfortable enough to wear all day. I like Cardinal and Chippewa boots the best. You can get them insulated and waterproof if necessary.

Now I will put in my 2 cents worth...I've seen too many times where accidents have been prevented by wearing proper safety footwear. I am married to someone who has sold safety footwear for 26 years and am definitely biased. In my opinion, not wearing them can be downright dangerous, and they can be in the form of running shoes, boots, rubber boots, insulated winter boots...felt packs...there are literally hundreds of styles.

If you have questions about safety footwear, I can pass the questions along and get them answered...

Latest posts